BMW e60 2007 LCi Blaupunkt pnp harness

shahidrazaq

Hi everyone,

Ive just installed the following to improve the dreadful basic sound:

1, vibe 4" components in front doors with tweeters

2, 8" earthquake subs under front seats

3, blaupunkt tha555 amp in the boot with the 5 meter harness

Two questions:

1, the harness has + and - connections but I could only find the constant 12v live at the back of the stereo. The wire which said 'ignition 12v' (only come live when ignition is one) doesn't seem to do anything?!

2, where do I get a remote wire from?!

I assumed I could use the head units power to power the amp. I connected the 12v constant live and earth to the pnp harnes and plugged in black and yellow plug into power socket on amp. This does power the amp but doesn't turn it off when I turn the car off!

After reading online it seems I should power the amp with new heavier gauge (8 gauge) power cable direct from battery and a new earth but where do I get the remote wire to turn the amp on and off?

I'm pulling my hair out here, please help??

Thanks in advance!

Hi ya,

The wiring harness has everything you need in it, you just don't connect the SUPPLY +12v and ground, use like you said a heavy gauge cable (with fuse) to supply the amp directly from the battery. I assume you've located the amp in the boot like I and everyone else has done in the past, so it's quite easy.

HTH and welcome to TSN

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the amp is in the boot and I'm going to add the power direct from the battery (with a fuse!) and earth it to the chassis. The only issue is I still need a remote wire to turn the amp on and off otherwise with a direct live from the battery the amp stays on after I've switched off radio and ignition!

Am I correct in thinking I should get a connection from somewhere at the rear fuse box for the remote wire? Finding a wire which is only live when ignition is on?

Appreciate your help.

Am I correct in thinking I should get a connection from somewhere at the rear fuse box for the remote wire? Finding a wire which is only live when ignition is on?

The Blaupunkt PnP lead has the trigger if I remember correctly. That or the amp senses the speaker level input is active and switches the amp on automatically... actually thinking about it I'm quite sure this is the case. I definitely didn't have to run a separate trigger line. I remember one of the hardest bits was getting the headunit back in with the PnP lead in place, was a right SoaB ! Although I was doing it in an E92 M3, no a 5er.

I'm guessing you've read mine/GizzE's install threads ?

It's been a while, but the more I think about it, the amp was triggered on/off from the speaker level output from the headunit, so no it wouldn't have switched off immediately, but after a period of time. The amp also gets BLOODY hot, but this I was informed is normal for that class of amp.

Ah.... lifted from page 7 in the manual! So yes, don't worry about the remote switching, it uses the speaker level.

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-30%20at%2013.25.47.png

I removed the glovebox to get more space/access for the wiring loom to be pulled through. It was the hardest part of the install and yes, I did have to take it out twice to check connections too !!!

One more quick one: one the manal it says 'as a feature +12v are now available...'. What does this mean?

I think there is now a +12v output on the amp, that you could use to trigger other equipment/amps. (you'll not need it really, unless you want to hook up some blue LEDs that come on/off with the amp ;)

• 3 months later...