Car rental thoughts in USA...

bazza_g

:grin: thought I'd share some very brief observations from a recent trip to the USA, first up a 2012 Camaro SS rocking a 6.2L V8 - supposedly putting out north of 400bhp, not a chance, it still felt wheezy and lazy as fook (maybe related to the 118 degree heat!) - liked the head up display and the reversing camera in the rear view mirror but the rest of it was awful :roflmao:

6fe3a266.jpg

fd2c4639.jpg

ebde5ece.jpg

3da0e441.jpg

:grin: next up was a 2012 V6 Mustang convertible which, despite having an even wheezier engine somehow felt more up for it and alive! Driving in LA, a convertible is the only way to go/pose - the hifi rocked and the 'track apps' dash which gave you a drag strip light tree to count down your 0-60, 0-100 runs was a massive giggle - though the best we managed was a sad 7.1 to 60mph :roflmao:

3bb5610a.jpg

8e5e448e.jpg

51412e85.jpg

All in all, American cars are still naff but a big of a giggle for a few days at a time +++

I had that Mustang in LA too, it felt like it had hardly any power but I drove it six hours non stop from Vegas to LA, and it coped well I didn't realise it had the 0-60 timer etc... I'm out there again in two weeks, in a Chevy Tahoe, it is a 5.6 V8 or something like that, I am sure it will be terrible. How did you find the sound system in the Mustang? I was impressed with it.

The car we had last year looked good and went like sh1te. Seems to be par for the course, lovely looking things with no oomph! I'd have chosen the Camaro if I went again, was rather envious of them!

They do make them with decent engines, but the rental co's never have them, always the base models.

It used to be even worse than that though, as they had models so basic and underpowered they were only available as rentals, you couldn't buy them.

They do make them with decent engines, but the rental co's never have them, always the base models.

I wouldn't call the 6.2V8 'SS' model of the Camaro a base model? :roflmao:

Both Hertz and Avis have their 'cool cars' range - decent specs/engines etc.

Edited by bazza_g

Very useful Bazza as I'm a DES when we go out to Vegas for 2 weeks in August, planning a drive to LA and we have Avis to play with the whole time with a billion air miles to use thanks to heavy spending on Apple products for the company :D any more info appreciated +++

I'm off to Toronto too, 12th June, you still there then Bangle ?

I also rent with Hertz gold, have booked a 'standard' car, which will still probably be bigger than a house.

No, I'll have been deported by then :P

The 'standard car' is a Dodge Avenger, with any luck they'll give you a Gold upgrade to a Chevrolet Impala - you'll really enjoy that!! :roflmao:

Due to the North American mentally the SUV's (Ford Escape & Jeep Grand Cherokee) and minivans (people carriers) are cheaper to rent than Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio (and standard car) - Go figure!

Andy & TDK - If either of you have to drive on the 401 be prepared for some fairly shocking driving, depending on where your going take the 407 toll road instead for a much more relaxing experience +++

You're not wrong, I almost got taken out twice in 5 minutes when I was heading west on the 401 around Mississauga last time I was there.

Ta, but as a fairly shocking driver myself, I'll be right at home by the sound of it :crackpipe:

Here's a pic of the 401 by the airport, imagine 4 M25's with half the drivers blindfolded and you will be fine:roflmao:

post-2514-137914483522_thumb.jpg

Will be spending loads of time 401 - from the border till Montreal. Crashing the car? who cares - it's a hire car, that's what they're for :D

Was going to ask if your going for business or pleasure but that sounds more like business :grin: