I seem to remember TSN predicted this outcome...

Booster

What this tells me, is that motorists are absolutely necessary to finance the country, and that as people start paying less, they are suddenly realising that they have fecked up, and that they need the motorists money.

Perhaps it's time for a political party that shows the respect that motorists deserve for contributing far more to the countries coffers than non motorists do, and to show that respect they should be making it easier for us to use our vehicles, not harder.

For example, remove all traffic calming except outside schools, remove all speed cameras, raise the speed limit, build all those by-passes and widen motorways, and reduce tax on fuel, as the cheaper fuel is, the more will get used, resulting in higher tax incomes.

What happened to the TSN party?

Yep, we did iirc. Mind you, anyone with half a brain cell could see that coming. Which at least explains why the politicians didn't.

Labour has accused the Coalition of planning a “stealth tax” on drivers

:splutter: Pardon? Did he have a straight face when he said that? Let me guess, has he also noticed that he surrounded by kettles that are black as the ace of spades?

What this tells me, is that motorists are absolutely necessary to finance the country, and that as people start paying less, they are suddenly realising that they have fecked up, and that they need the motorists money.

Perhaps it's time for a political party that shows the respect that motorists deserve for contributing far more to the countries coffers than non motorists do, and to show that respect they should be making it easier for us to use our vehicles, not harder.

For example, remove all traffic calming except outside schools, remove all speed cameras, raise the speed limit, build all those by-passes and widen motorways, and reduce tax on fuel, as the cheaper fuel is, the more will get used, resulting in higher tax incomes.

What happened to the TSN party?

While agreeing with most of your points (yes, really) I think they're is something more fundamental and it's less about the politicians and more about the consumption of politicking*. A politician now cannot say anything 'out there' that has a real outcome because they get nailed by the press. The press gets their power from the buying readship. It's almost like we're being governed by the least common denominator.

As I've grown up (it has happened, a bit) I've realised there's a lot of truth in people getting the government they deserve. Politicians that have a big, direct and explanative gob on them are usually vilified by the press. Mind is a bit boggled by vodka at the moment so best example I can give is one from female haircuts (bare with me):

girl: Do you like my new haircut?

man: Yes, it's very nice!

girl: WTF was wrong with the old one? <insert rage here>

That seems to be the way that politics iran now. We are controlled and directed by the least common denominator of 'public or press outrage'.

As a Londoner actively interested in London - to be clear I mean I'd vote differently for a general as opposed to a mayoral election (selfishly if you like) - one of the refreshing things I've found about Boris is he's outspoken for *his* thoughts and doesn't often play the he said/she said/what I meant was game.

This country is being governed by stupid people because stupid people put them there**.

*Yes I made this up.

** I will freely admit I may be one of them.

Looks like they are considering a similar thing to what happens here in France. I had to pay a Bonus/Malus charge on first registration of my Jaguar. Bonus is where you get a bit back if you register something that they consider to be 'green' anything else results in a Malus charge and that charge was €2600 on my car.

If they really cared about the environment, they would have invested the huge surplus generated by motoring taxes in decent, nationalised, public transport.

What I find sad, really sad, is that there isn't a single polician or political party than will consider anything other then what is happeneing under their noses. None of the f*cking useless windbags will plan properly for the future, for 2 years time, 10 years time, they just firefight their way to their next expenses payment... ******s.

If they really cared about the environment, they would have invested the huge surplus generated by motoring taxes in decent, nationalised, public transport.

What I find sad, really sad, is that there isn't a single polician or political party than will consider anything other then what is happeneing under their noses. None of the f*cking useless windbags will plan properly for the future, for 2 years time, 10 years time, they just firefight their way to their next expenses payment... ******s.

Another simple answer would be too invest in Hydrogen. Keep the engines and tax on engine size..........

Solar and wind power (or nuclear) to provide power for the hydrogen plant.

Oh look, you've just created many skilled jobs too.

I wonder how much they are actually loosing from people 'going green' ? if VED raises nearly 6 billion a year and the projected downfall is £ 100 million that's not exactly a dramatic downfall in revenue. I remember reading about a £ 500 million windfall in extra takes raised due to the price of fuel and wasn't there an extra £ 30 million raised in revenue when we nearly had a fuel strike ? What will it cost to implement a new system after it's been endlessly debated by politicians and 'experts' ?

They tried to force us all into more economical cars, forced manufactures to make more economical cars told us how we are ruining the world for our children by not driving economical cars and suddenly they have realised ' oh sh1t we can't afford for people to drive economical cars' :ffs:

I was (kind of) listening to something on the radio yesterday.

A lady politician was being interviewed and was going on about the government forcing oil companies to cut prices.

The interviewer pointed out that on a £60 tank of fuel, the oil company makes a profit of £1.60, The majority is government tax.

There is no comeback to facts like that.

I heard that as well on Radio 1, it was laughable. She said something like "We make a proportion" and he pointed out it was £34 (or something similar), asked her the next question to which she was suitably vague and then she commented "But I suspect you'll give me the exact figures". The fact of the matter is the fuel companies may make billions in profit but that's over billions of litres sold, the real difference they can make to Joe Bloggs is so minimal.

Yes the fuel companies make billions in profit, but this then fuels (sic) the overall economy, because they're public companies - shares, dividends etc into pensions.

The previous govt f*cked up with the idea and the current govt hasn't a clue what to do.

Manufacturers have reacted to the ludicrous EU regulations really well, and now the EU and each country's govt is sh*tting itself, because they've effectively emptied their own coffers.