Mk VII Golf GTi

News_Stig

"Shave 100KG off the weight"

Not before time - now that the Mk6 is a lard-arsed lump about the same weight as the Mk4 R32 was at 1,500KG, without the "benefit" of AWD :rolleyes:

How about making it 1,100-1,200KG and sort the front suspension so it handles like a Megane RS...?!

It will be the usual Golf evolution process. Everyone will hate it and say it looks too much like the last one and that there's not enough power and that's it's too expensive and then the very same people will go out and buy it a few months later and tell us all how brilliant it is +++

Its all good news i suppose, and I still like the iconic shape of the hatchback.

But, for a grand or so more, there's that new M badged offering from those pesky Bavarians....

And that will be faster and probably drive a little bit better.

Still got an 18 month wait for these to come out so I need to fill a gap until they've been around for a year or two, I went and sat in a new :oneseries:an hour or so ago. Wasn't the nice M one but the 'Urban', if they took all the white plastic crap off the inside it was actually a very nice car, the interior wasn't as dark and gloomy as I remembered as well, I think because they've gone for a light grey rather than dark grey/black lining on the inside now. Serious consideration is being given to a 118i or a 120d for the next car...

But, for a grand or so more, there's that new M badged offering from those pesky Bavarians....

And that will be faster and probably drive a little bit better.

But won't be anything like the same money as a Golf GTI I guess?

And Merc are launching the new A class - AMG version will have a 2 litre turbo as well :D

It will be the usual Golf evolution process. Everyone will hate it and say it looks too much like the last one and that there's not enough power and that's it's too expensive and then the very same people will go out and buy it a few months later and tell us all how brilliant it is +++

See now, that to me, describes your average Audi driver, not Golf drivers, the only incarnations of the Golf that have looked remotely similar (imo) were the MK1 &2, and the Mk3&4, but even then, they were still quite different!

But won't be anything like the same money as a Golf GTI I guess?

The new M is 30k, not far away form a GTi with a couple of options, what's the base of a GTi these days? must be 25k I'd guess?

Plus I see that as a positive, if it had the 5 pot, it'd just be an RS3 in a different frock, at least it won't be so lardy!

I agree. Also, a 4-pot turbo with 300bhp = very drivable (and tuneable). If one really needs that "burble" then Milltek will cater for it.

I agree. Also, a 4-pot turbo with 300bhp = very drivable (and tuneable). If one really needs that "burble" then Milltek will cater for it.

Sorry, no matter how good the Milltek sounds on the 4 pot it sounds much better on the 5 pot. V6 would be even better but sadly those days are gone.

The 5 pot would give over 350bhp standard and tunable to over 400bhp without too much money.

It doesn't matter it will be a 4 pot so we'll just have to make do.

When it comes time to move the Rocco on I think I will need to paying a visit to the boys from Bavaria

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and agree with you that the engine note will be a little more throaty with 5 cylinders, and that much more with 6, but if that's not the main aim, then a Milltek will improve the engine note a touch +++

Edition 30's were being tuned to 350bhp with not-to-shy-of-that torque figures, so I reckon a tuned R would easily be in and around the 400's, again without too much money (CAI, fuel pump upgrade, remap & exhaust).

The Golf GTi has always been a four pot, I think it'd be silly to change that format.

Yeah they did a 5 pot golf, but it didn't sell well at all and was never a 'sporty' Golf, they have the 'R' badge if they want to make a sporty Golf with more than 4 cylinders.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and agree with you that the engine note will be a little more throaty with 5 cylinders, and that much more with 6, but if that's not the main aim, then a Milltek will improve the engine note a touch +++

Edition 30's were being tuned to 350bhp with not-to-shy-of-that torque figures, so I reckon a tuned R would easily be in and around the 400's, again without too much money (CAI, fuel pump upgrade, remap & exhaust).

Before I owned a R32, I would have agreed with you but I just find the 4 pot characterless and souldless in comparison. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree +++