No update for iMac...

CarMad

So I was about to jump into the Apple fold after waiting rather a long time and Apple don't update the iMac. Yes they have new MBP that looks great but that isn't going to help me when I'm doing image editing its just too small a screen.

Now I'm left with the dilemma to get something anyway or wait even longer potentially until 2013, Gggggrrrr. :ffs:

Well they aren't creating a product that wants me to spend money on at the moment or at least not pay 2012 prices for 2011 tech anyway so it could be that I go for another PC after all. Shame I was looking forwards to playing with something new and different.

Just go on ebay, buy a good i7 iMac 27, save yourself a lot of money and get a stonking machine.

I don't get the 'waiting for the new one' thing. If you have a need now surely you buy now unless you know something is imminent? Why look at something else just because there isn't a brand new version out?

The iMac 27's in i5 an i7 form are used by studio's up and down the country, day in, day out, and their performance is incredible. If they'll do for them, I'm sure they'd suffice for your image editing surely?

I've been using my MBP (ex-Mac owned) with a 2.66Mhz i7, 8gb RAM and, mostly importantly, an SSD, for over a year now and it still never ceases to surprise me with its performance. Just booting it up and loading a presentation in a clients nearly always gets comments such as "Eh? Was that switched off? How did it start up that quickly?".

My advice would be to buy used and get an SSD in it. You'll never, ever, ever go back.

Edited by MrMe

I tend to want to buy new and look after my kit and sweat the asset for quit a long time before I upgrade again on the whole. So with updated Macs imminent I waited with all the signs showing that they will offer updated process for the same price as the current model is how it normally goes.

But they have left the iMacs out of the current refresh for the time being and whilst I could go onto eBay and get used its just not something that appeals to be to be honest.

So I'm left with not wanting to buy the old process with no USB3 etc. and waiting for longer if I want to get an iMac. Plus with Apple kit keeping its value fairly well I bet they arent that cheap on eBay anyway.

They're not cheap, but they do represent a significant saving for what are huge spec machines. I was just trying to make the point that you'd have to be an ultra-intensive user to get any real gain (if any) out of whatever the next generation bring.

We run iMac 24/27's, MrsMe's company run iMac 27's, and they're on the current or previous generation yet work on very intensive stuff that we'd have absolutely no need for upgrading to the latest releases for. I can see why someone like Mac does it because he lives and breathes it and a lot of his work is about as processor and disk intensive as anyone I've ever known (how many people will have to simulate corporate mail environments for tens of thousands of users? Very few!).

If you bought now, new, you'd get a hell of a machine. Nobody really knows in detail what the next refresh will bring above the current range. If it was like cars you knew there'd be significant performance/spec gains or the old model would drop a load of cash then I would completely understand it. However, there will be neither of those happen.

I've still got my original iPad because the undoubted performance increases of the 2 and 3 would not be sufficient to make me part with my cash because mine will do and give 90% of what the new models do and I get the benefit of a better term investment.

It's each to their own and I respect that, I just wanted to try to understand what you felt waiting perhaps a year would give you that the current generation wouldn't. I always look back at an age old statistic about processing power and computing specification when new models come into question. I can't remember it in detail but it was something along the lines that 98% of users use 5% of their machines capability. As intensive users in our industry we probably don't use 20% of what they can really do - even at current and previous generation specification.

I know there's a perception I jump on every fresh release, and I do kind of understand where it comes from. MrMe is right in some respects in that the last couple of years I've been doing some properly big stuff so machine grunt was massively important. Also, the jump to SandyBridge & SATA-III SSD was a brilliant combination, well worth the jump from the previous gen i7s.

I will say though that the SB -> Ivy Bridge jump isn't that significant, and because of that I probably won't upgrade. I say probably because I/we do get pretty awesome pricing through distribution for various things, and if an opportunity pops up I probably would upgrade.

People tend to keep Apple kit a while, so I guess in some respects I understand not wanting to buy pre-refresh...but right now, I'd be looking at a refurb offer on the current gen. The Ivy Bridge upgrade & USB 3 doesn't mean that much to me.

The current 27" i7 3.4Ghz with 16Gb and an SSD is about the best machine I've ever used I think.

If I knew the next update was indeed 12 months away I'd get one now, in fact I would have bought one a few months ago. But history has said that the iMac typically gets updated every 300 ish days. But it's now over 400 days and as Mac mentioned a bump however small is due and will bring other minor improvements to speed and also connectivity and a few other benefits.

I don't upgrade often but hate the idea that what I've only just bought is now old, no problem with it being updated in a year but not weeks or a month or two. I work in IT and fully understand the minor differences in the overall performance of things, but again I don't like buying what I know could or should be updated to the latest generation of technology that won't be any more expensive to buy but will give me improvements.

Nice thread here. I really like the look of the MacBook Pro (good video HERE by the way). from what I have read and and reading between the lines a bit, I think the new iMac will have a retina display and that screen size will probably rely upon manufacturing capability for the forthcoming Apple TV product. I have a 2.66Ghz 24 inch iMac which is still an amazing machine. So much so that when I looked recently at the current range I couldn't seriously justify an upgrade. Thats part of the unique proposition that Apple give, superb longevity before upgrade. (My son still runs my previous iMac which must be 7 years old now, its fine for what he wants). I'll be waiting for the new upgrade in 2013 I think.

I've been using my Acer laptop for the last 7 years too, it's still decent spec by today's standards, things don't seem to have moved on too much.

The main difference is that my laptop is worth bugger all, whereas a Mac will still be holding over 50% of its original value!

Well from what I can gleam there is an update due in a month or two so I'm going to wait. Happy with the pros and cons of waiting so will keep my fingered crossed it does indeed arrive this time.

My prediction on the update I put on my blog. http://gumpdump.co.uk/2012/06/imac-2012-due-in-july-august/

Don't think it will be retina for this update maybe a slight increase to match the MacBook Pro but it might get the anti reflective tech used on the new MBP which will help when image editing.