MX5 noisy tappets / HLAs

Twinspark

If you've followed my other post, you'll see I'm currently on my way to Berlin.

I had my '5 serviced before we left, but my mechanic seems to have used the thinner spec. oil as originally published by Mazda for Mk1s.

I know this causes issues with HLA noise - and it's happening in this case.

If I'm pottering around, I don't get any issues - I've even done a lap of the 'Ring without any noise.

But sustained running at higher speeds seems to thin the oil to the extent that I get the rattle.

Obviously, getting an oil change done this week will be a huge challenge.... my German doesn't stretch to that!

So, I'm going to have to assume 1200 or so miles with a rattle at higher speeds isn't going to kill my engine.

Any opinions?

I did think of that, but I'm not. I'm in Bonn and need to be on the road before 8am if I'm going to hit Berlin at a sensible time.

General advice seems to be that I can just ignore it... can't hear it at higher speeds anyway!

I've just topped up the oil with the 10/40 I have in the boot, so we'll see what that does. If not, I'll just have to ride out this trip and sort it when I get home.

Kicking myself for not specifying 10/40 to my mechanic - he must have gone with the book, which says 5/30 and is proven to be dfar too thin for ageing engines.

Ibis is perfect for that, I can't tell you how much spannering has been done in Ibis hotel car parks over the years!

I even know of one chap who, having boiled the oil in his antique V8 American limo, drained the oil on the side of an Autobahn and melted the tarmac in the process, I'll not embarrass him by telling you which member it is!

Ibis is perfect for that, I can't tell you how much spannering has been done in Ibis hotel car parks over the years!

I even know of one chap who, having boiled the oil in his antique V8 American limo, drained the oil on the side of an Autobahn and melted the tarmac in the process, I'll not embarrass him by telling you which member it is!

:roflmao:+++:roflmao:that was f**king hot.....