Euro 2012: Uefa fines

Andy_Bangle

Are UEFA’s for real? their attempts to stamp racism out in Euro 2012 are farcical. Croatia were fined less for monkey chants at Mario Balotelli than Nicklas Bendtner was for displaying a sponsored pair of underwear. :ffs:

The Croatian FA were only fined €80,000 for offences which included the racist abuse by between 300 and 500 of their fans during Thursday’s game, which was also dogged by accusations a banana had been thrown on to the field. (The max football federation fine is €1m).

Nicklas Bendtner was banned for one competitive fixture and fined the maximum player fine of €100,000 for exposing sponsored underwear..... all of the racism fines together don't even add up to that?!

It's even more farcical when you realise that Croatia’s fine – which they were given three days to appeal – was not only for racist abuse. They were also punished for setting off and throwing fireworks for a second time at Euro 2012. They had already been docked €25,000 for that – and the invasion of the pitch by a supporter – during Sunday’s win over Republic of Ireland.

It will be interesting to see how much the German FA will be fined for the setting-off of fireworks and large neo-nazi banner at the Denmark game, having already been fined €10,000 (just over £8,000) after their fans threw screwed up pieces of paper at Portugal players during their opening group game.

Uefa fined Porto £16,700 in April after their fans subjected the Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli to prolonged racist abuse in the Europa League.

Hang on Andrew, that fine shouldn't even have been levied in the first place. There was no pitch invasion. The UEFA report directly contradicts that of independent observers so I'd not be so quick as to make out that the fine isn't enough - it shouldn't have been given in the first place.

However, it does highlight Andys point further.

It is no great surprise to anyone remotely interested in football that UEFA would do this, both in terms of their imbalance of fines and why they'd fine England. You have to remember that they hate us. That's not a joke, it's reality. We question their rules and we complain. That is against their rules.

They value commercial opportunity above racism, hence the fine for Bendtner versus the racist chanting. They've then fined England because they could. Plain and simple. They're a bunch of ignorant, arrogant, racist morons.

Look at Blatter and FIFA. Now he wants goal line technology. He didn't when the infamous England "goal" happened in South Africa. At UEFA, Platini hates us. Always has done, always will do.

So none of this is surprising. It's just the corrupt topping on a cake of governance led by UEFA and FIFA.

The paltry size of the fine levied on the English FA reflects the exceedingly minor nature of the infringement. That's why the FA decided it wasn't worth challenging.

I hate Napolean, er, Platini as much as the next Englishman, but all this paranoid crap about us being the poor innocent victims of UEFA's and FIFA's corruption is beginning to get on my tits. Yes they're corrupt, that's clear as day, but no more nor less than the English FA. In fact the level of corruption within the English FA is one reason why I couldn't give a toss how well England do. The other main one being I'll never support a team with that racist, mysoginist c*nt Terry in it.

As for all the fuss about racism, if there has been any at matches it has been very occasional and isolated to a few morons. Thankfully. Although I have no confidence that UEFA would have stood up and acted honourably if it had been worse.

Of course I should have said that UEFA are playing a blinder on this too - because their answer to everything is that all the fines go to charity. It's true that all the monies do go to charity at this tournament (fines, that is), but they seem to think it means they can get away with anything.

• 5 months later...
Are UEFA’s for real? their attempts to stamp racism out in Euro 2012 are farcical. Croatia were fined less for monkey chants at Mario Balotelli than Nicklas Bendtner was for displaying a sponsored pair of underwear. :ffs:

The Croatian FA were only fined €80,000 for offences which included the racist abuse by between 300 and 500 of their fans during Thursday’s game, which was also dogged by accusations a banana had been thrown on to the field. (The max football federation fine is €1m).

I see UEFA have again turned a blind eye to racism following the decision to fine Serbian FA a paltry £65,000 (still less than Nicklas Bendtner). The words "racism", "racist" and "racial" do not even appear in the Uefa statement accompanying the punishment.

Yes, two Serbian coaches have been banned for two years (although their punishments will likely be reduced on appeal), and that the Under-21 team will have to play a match behind closed doors but the punishment is woefully inadequate.