Strange puncture

M8CKN

I received a call from my Mrs last night from the A1 hard shoulder, she was traveling down from Newcastle and had got a flat tyre and was waiting for the AA.

When she arrived home, she said the AA man had checked the wheel & tyre and said he couldn't see where the damage had occurred. I checked them both too and the wheel and tyre are totally unmarked (only 500 miles on the car) but if you roll the wheel you can hear and feel something inside like a few stones or marbles are in there.

Off to the garage this morning, but any ideas what it could be?

Left the wheel with Kwik fit this morning to have a look at.

They rung me mid afternoon saying they had tried to inflate it and the sidewall had ballooned as it has clearly been driven on for a period whilst totally flat, damaging it beyond repair.

Mrs said she pulled over when she felt all wasn't as it should be, and it wasnt fully flat, but by the time she'd rung the AA and they're arrived it was on the rim.

Asked what the loose object in the tyre was and they said they havent looked, but it needs a new tyre £125!!

Told them I'll ring them back in the morning to let them know what I'll do. I've since found the tyre from blackcircles for £89 fitted!!

If it turns out it is a failed valve, it it just one if those things, or with only 500 miles on it do I have any come back with the dealer??

89, tats not far off the price of a repair. Great stuff

It's about £84 off the price of a repair!

Sounds like a likely story from Kwick fit, heard it many a time before "you've driven on it, it can't be repaired" even when you know you haven't, and as you say, your Mrs said it wasn't completely flat when she stopped, so that is bollox.

If they are correct about the sidewall, and that isn't bollox too, then it's unrepairable anyway, so don't know why they'd give you two reasons that they can't fix it.

Personally, I'd collect it and take it to a reputable tyre dealer, if nothing else, then just for peace of mind of knowing if Kwik Fit are trying to stitch you up or not.

More likely she couldn't feel it in all honesty, it can be difficult to tell you have flat sometimes, if your on a nice smooth road, today's massive wheels with low profile tyres can mask a flat very well.

Stop sticking up for her..but in fairness they are quite low profile.

More likely she couldn't feel it in all honesty, it can be difficult to tell you have flat sometimes, if your on a nice smooth road, today's massive wheels with low profile tyres can mask a flat very well.

Well that and the bit between noticing something isnt quite right and actually admitting to yourself that it is a puncture and stopping the car.. We've all been there - that period of denial before you say "oh funk it " and pull over ! +++

You're asking for trouble taking it to Kwik Fit. Sorry, not helpful, but I agree with Tipex.

Forget about the price of tyres supplied and fitted by Kwik Fit.

Here`s a tale where Kwik Fit showed they can get things right...sometimes!!....I recently had four new tyres fitted to my XF by an Independent fitter who I`v been using for years....I had to return on 2 occasions to get the wheels re-balanced...but there was still a slight vibration through the car after the 2nd visit...So after 3 attempts to balance the wheels I gave up and went to another Independent...2 attempts and still not right...In despair I took the car to Kwikfit...Perfect..bang on the money at the first attempt.

I have seen a Fiesta overtake me on the A1(M) and rear nearside wheel had no tyre on it. It had disappeared and the girl was doing 80 mph +!

Lots of flashing from me and other drivers to no avail.

However a few miles further on, she had eventually pulled over.

The Fiesta was on very low profile rubber.

I have seen a Fiesta overtake me on the A1(M) and rear nearside wheel had no tyre on it. It had disappeared and the girl was doing 80 mph +!

Lots of flashing from me and other drivers to no avail.

However a few miles further on, she had eventually pulled over.

The Fiesta was on very low profile rubber.

Somebody probably sent her a text or put a message up on Facebook to tell her +++

Forget about the price of tyres supplied and fitted by Kwik Fit.

Here`s a tale where Kwik Fit showed they can get things right...sometimes!!....I recently had four new tyres fitted to my XF by an Independent fitter who I`v been using for years....I had to return on 2 occasions to get the wheels re-balanced...but there was still a slight vibration through the car after the 2nd visit...So after 3 attempts to balance the wheels I gave up and went to another Independent...2 attempts and still not right...In despair I took the car to Kwikfit...Perfect..bang on the money at the first attempt.

Did they just nail on the external weights that you can see? Or use the lead tape that sticks inside the wheel out of sight like I'd imagine your independents did? It's easier to balance a wheel with the external weights.

I suspect it was luck more than anything, although Kwik Fit did fix the Mrs wipers for her for free when they stopped working on a rainy day and she went in and batted her eyelids at them, was only a fuse but still.

Weights stuck to the inside of the alloy....No idea why the regular fitter could`t get it right...At the end of the day it all depends on the correct calibration of the balancing machine and the competency of the operator....I must admit I was beginning to doubt if there was an issue with the wheels/tyres or if it was all in my head...but no...it was obvious the kwikfit guy had got it spot on as soon as I hit the motorway.