Finally bought a new car! And moved to the dark side...

stooH

Over the weekend I've gone and bought my first diesel car (i'm not counting the Freelander) and my first rear wheel drive car!

Have bought a 120d Hatch in Sport Trim :oneseries:got it in red because it's obviously the fastest colour.

I was looking at the 118i but head took over and thought the 62.8mpg vs 47.9mpg was a bit of a no brainer especially when the bhp and torque figures are so much better for the 120d.

Now I just have to wait for the damn thing to be built. Very sad to be saying goodbye to the GTI but i've had a good 97k miles in it and just need something a bit more practical (cost) for a few years. Think I negotiated a good deal on the car as well, got £2300 discount which seemed pretty good from what I could see on t'internet.

If anyone wants a Red GTI with DSG, 56 plate (Jan 07) with 97k on the clock it will be up for sale end Aug/beginning Sep. £6.5k ono.

New car will look like this

post-16271-137914484919_thumb.jpg

How does it drive compared to the Golf, in your opinion ? :)

Yeah, how does it compare? Although I want to say it would be very different, I imagine it's not too dissimilar? Nice, especially in red +++

Told ya you would end up in a sooty!!! :grin:

Local dealer or my chap?

You were right, local in the end, they came up with (I think) a very good deal and a touch less hassle, although your guy was very helpful, just sent him the bad news...

Drove really well, you feel very cosseted in it, only slight oddity was the pedal positions, slightly to the right, went for a manual as well so going to have to get used to using my left foot again, very nice gear change, very balanced on the road, cornered really well. Went for the sport because it has the sports seats in it rather than the slightly flatter ones.

The ride wasn't too bad even on the run flats thought it was fairly similar to the Golf in that respect to be honest, i'll see how I go but may change when they wear out.

184 ponies so 13 down on the Golf but 380nm of torque compared to 280nm in the Golf and you could really feel it pulling through the gears. I'd hope to be getting high 40's mpg even with my driving so if I do that's 20mpg or so more than i'm getting currently, combined with lower tax and insurance should make for a reasonable saving over the year.

Hopefully by the time it's due to be replaced i'd have got a rise, mortgage payments will be more sensible and I can afford to have something a smidge more interesting. Having said that it's only an unnoticeable 0.3s slower to 60 than the Golf so no slouch. +++

Very good choice. The 120d is a vastly better engine than the 118i anyway in my opinion.

Plus, you say 184 bhp....but for £500 you'll find that Evolve Automotive will unleash around 230 bhp...and 340lbs ft (460 Nm) torque! Their remap on the 120d is quite well known for dramatic driving differences. Ultimately you get 25% increase in horsepower, much better responsiveness and the punch in the back is said to be very noticeable.

For what it's worth I also think the new shape 1 series looks superb. The more I see them, the more I think they make all other hatches look very low-rent.

As much as the thought of a remap appeals it's on a finance deal so think it'll have to stay vanilla :(

I was never very keen on the last version of the 1 series (looks wise) but they've ironed out some of the creases and the banana curve at the bottom of the doors has gone now, I wouldn't say it's a looker but it's much better (IMO)

As much as the thought of a remap appeals it's on a finance deal so think it'll have to stay vanilla :(

I was never very keen on the last version of the 1 series (looks wise) but they've ironed out some of the creases and the banana curve at the bottom of the doors has gone now, I wouldn't say it's a looker but it's much better (IMO)

That banana curve always made it look like the doors had sagged.

To be fair I waited until within 6 months of so of my warranty expiring before having mine remapped. For me it was all about potential engine problems under warranty, so I held back a while.

Of course you can undo the map in minutes anyway, so when it goes in for a service you reprogram it and then return it to the map when you come home.

That said - if I was buying brand new then I'd probably wait until I'd had it a couple of years too. Just a state of mind thing above all else.+++

Got any pics, Stoo ? :)

Bimmer has to be built yet, got to go and sign paper work today so will find out rough build times then. Think i'll just get them to hold off until September and get it on the new plate.

Good choice Stooh, I like the new 1er and the 120d it a cracking engine.

Think the new ones are difficult to remap anyway going on conversations with Evolve, sure they'll crack them at some point mind.

Look forward to seeing pics in September. Welcome to the dark side, it's sunny and the grass is green! :D

Well it gets better, I got some of my figures mixed up and negotiated a bigger discount than I thought :roflmao: actually got £2,500 which i'm more than happy with, and then as a cherry on the top when I got there it turns out BMW had extended their finance offer so re-did the finance and I got 3.9% rather than 4.9% saving me another £11 a month. Happy all round :grin:

I passed a new 1-series, in red, on the M56 today. Looked good. I think you'll be very pleased with it.+++

I also passed a 135i Convertible in black that was VERY shiny. Probably just back from a professional detail by the looks of it. It was very bling indeed.

I had to tell the salesman yesterday that I had no interest in their £500 :eek: special bird crap repelling polish, think I might see if there are some detailers locally who can apply a decent coat of something magical when I first get it.

I had to tell the salesman yesterday that I had no interest in their £500 :eek: special bird crap repelling polish, think I might see if there are some detailers locally who can apply a decent coat of something magical when I first get it.

Speaking with Nathan, he says the product is actually very good, but the application is where it is let down. I'd go for a proper detailer application too

Have bought a 120d Hatch in Sport Trim :oneseries:got it in red because it's obviously the fastest colour.

I was looking at the 118i but head took over and thought the 62.8mpg vs 47.9mpg was a bit of a no brainer especially when the bhp and torque figures are so much better for the 120d.

New car will look like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46561[/ATTACH]

Good call..+++

I really like the F20 120d.

The performance economy compromise is pretty much unbeatable, and the interior is vastly better than the old car.

I am currently looking at one to replace MrsDiesels Mk6 Golf 160ps TSi. However VW have offered a very attractive deal on a run out Mk6 GTD.