What's the ultimate Q car?

Mook

I thought this could take a twist into the 90s, after the "Ultimate 80s icon" thread, but there's too many that are older and newer.

They don't have to be badgeless - they just have to be "if you know, then you know". Your average bloke on the street wouldn't really know - 'til one came storming past :D

Evo's latest review of the new A6 BiTDI has got me onto this - they reckon a Lexus IS-F couldn't pull away from it. Must try one :)

Audi RS2 was one for me, as was the original Volvo 850 T5-R, and the B7 Audi RS4. And the Ur-Quattro. Oh, and the Integrale Evo...

Shiit - are there too many Audis in this already...? :uhoh:

640px-Audi_RS2.jpg

Volvo-850.jpg

640px-2006-2008_Audi_RS_4_(8ED)_quattro_Avant_(2011-09-03)_01.jpg

640px-MB_quattro.jpg

613px-Lancia_Delta_Evo_vl_EMS.jpg

You can't include cars like Integrale or UR Quattro in this, the whole point of stealth is it doesn't look sporty, and both those do even to the untrained eye.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Nissan Bluebird Turbo ZX.

Always loved the Lotus Carlton, mental piece of kit, can't be many left now?

Edited by Tipex

I think you've covered most of them in that list. B5 RS4 with no badges on it gave us a surprise one day before i knew my cars. Maybe AMG Merc estates too.

Also, the Impreza WRX. I had no idea what these were until I witnessed one burning off a 911 on the Kings Road one evening. Pulled away from the lights like a scolded cat, leaving rubber lines a long way down the road. 911 driver gave it some too, and then scuttled off. This would have been mid 90's and I now know it would have been an import. Very cool.

Anything that looks like its designed to cart around kids and Labradors but then goes like stink seems fun to me!

But probably the earliest car that surprised me was the RS2 - I remember at university seeing one and thinking, why would you put Porsche brakes on an Audi estate? What an odd thing to do....

Isn't there a statistic around somewhere about the Vauxhall Cavalier 1.7TDi having a faster 50-70 time than a Sierra Cosworth in fifth gear? It had weird gearing and pulled like a train in the right gear and at the right revs.

Unlikely to be the Cavalier, the 1.7TDi was an Isuzu engine, and gutless, however, it was very economical, and utterly, utterly bullet proof.

Stands in the Mini-Cab hall of fame as being the most reliable taxi ever made, dare say the Prius will catch it up though.

Top Gear did a similar test to what you mention, think they used a Mitsu Evo, which obviously isn't going to do much off boost, can't remember what beat it but it was something mundane.

Unlikely to be the Cavalier, the 1.7TDi was an Isuzu engine, and gutless, however, it was very economical, and utterly, utterly bullet proof.

Stands in the Mini-Cab hall of fame as being the most reliable taxi ever made, dare say the Prius will catch it up though.

Top Gear did a similar test to what you mention, think they used a Mitsu Evo, which obviously isn't going to do much off boost, can't remember what beat it but it was something mundane.

I think it was the Fiat Stilo Estate.................. But catch anything off boost with a turbo charge the size of an Airbus engine and by the time the thing has spooled up................

Until I read all the posts, I was going to say Lotus carlton, but MrMe has already mentioned that legend +++ The M5 tourer is pretty damn Q. Or what about the Mitsubishi Ralliart Legnum VR4? Sleeper car extraordinaire.

R36. School run power estate :grin:

Friend bought one a few weeks back out in Australia. He is devastated.

On his commute into work he is getting 17 mpg in traffic.... And on fast drives he gets less....

Might be 300hp, but he says it's not even that quick. (came out of a Subaru).