Motorsport for the Poor : Rallying Dad's MGB. A report from the woman's seat.

theduisbergkid

Leukaemia-Rally-2012-%C2%AE-Brian-Gilbert-3641.jpg

It has always been the aim of S2B2 to seek out new low-cost ways to enjoy interesting motors, whether they be £1k snotters, your everyday hot hatch or whatever else we can blag, rent or twoc. However, as S2B2 has continued to grow it’s meant that lately we’ve had the chance to play about in some proper gut-munching supercars, including some very fancy stuff from Artega, Lotus and Morgan (more on that soon). So last month we kicked it old school and got back-to-basics with my old man’s MGB and the Leukaemia Road Rally in the valleys of South Wales.

Our 1970 Flame Red MG had been laid up for a few years in a private collection; I sniped it for a song on eBay thanks to the listing finishing at the crack of dawn mid-week. Good solid chrome bumper MGBs can normally be found for about £3k – we paid around half that for this rock solid, but slightly tatty, GT. After nine months fettling we finally decided to take on the Historic Rally Car Register’s road rally series with your’s truly navigating from the woman’s side seat and watching the clocks.

Don’t dismiss road rallying as motorsport for maths fetishists and mollycoddled classics; to be in the top runners you really need a handy wheelman too. Over a dozen autotests around cones and obstacles were mixed up with mini-hill climbs and two tough forestry sections that were more like trials stages. In between these tests were regularity sections with hidden checkpoints, so we had to maintain regular speeds using a stopwatch and some proper hard sums. Unfortunately, if A’ level maths really has been dumbed down to the point of “naming the triangles”, as the Daily Mail claims, this sport is knackered. What made it harder was the British-made Smiths tacho being 10-15 mph out of whack. Much to my Dad’s disgust, a blob of chewy stuck on the bezel at the “real” 30 mph point helped a bit.

Read the rest here Rallying a classic MGB. :)