BMW Parts Help

Mac

Help me, I'm confused.

I want to swap the iDrive controller in my car to the new one - this one if you're interested:

lma-bmw-cic-idrive-controller.jpg

It's a lot better than the one from the old system. I've done the software update, and I know the controller works, but I'm utterly confused about which central console I need :confused: What's even worse is that the BMW Parts Department is being utterly useless. Firstly they say this controller won't work on my car - it does, I've tried it. Worked on my last one too. All the buttons work as expected, and it's a damm site less spinny than the old one. Secondly, the facia piece is a special order so it's buy and take it, and no refunds. I'm not even sure that's legal :ffs:

Anyways, I think I want 51 16 7 898 860 but the forums are being a ballache and keep insisting I want the part number that applies to the DSC unit :confused:

Anybody out there able to point me in the right direction please?

so it's buy and take it, and no refunds. I'm not even sure that's legal :ffs:

Actually, if I order this remotely - phone or t'internet - I can use distance selling regulations, yes? I don't think they can override that, although they can refuse to accept the order?

Pfft.

Actually, if I order this remotely - phone or t'internet - I can use distance selling regulations, yes? I don't think they can override that, although they can refuse to accept the order?

Pfft.

Check their distance selling policy - if they outline a variance from standard regulations you'll often find a court will support them.

Mac - is yours manual or DCT? I can get you the right numbers. I've been musing this myself.

BTW MrMe, this is only the controller, not the software. You can update the full system to have the Combox, new maps, new menu, internet, the lot. But it costs about £3k. However, I think that might be value for money on the basis you are getting a bang up to date M3 without having to buy one! Only other problem is that each time the car needs a software update, it needs to be fitted back with the original equipment. A controller isn't so bad but the full computer system - makes me think twice.

So, as it turns out, I wasn't any help at all! You read all the threads about updating CIC to CCC and Combox stuff? Mighty tempting huh?

How much did your dealer charge you for the software update? Mine is quoting £169 max (depending how long it takes). And, once done, did you notice any difference at all?

They didn't charge me, which I thought was nice. My guess is the 'no charge' meant 'is already latest version'. They said they'd do it when it was in for an oil service.

Did I notice any difference? Ummm, no, not at all :roflmao:

I'm not that bothered about the full CiC upgrade as I doubt I'll keep the car long enough to care. The controller upgrade though is worth it, it's just so much easier to use than the older iDrive IMO.

Mac - is yours manual or DCT? I can get you the right numbers. I've been musing this myself.

BTW MrMe, this is only the controller, not the software. You can update the full system to have the Combox, new maps, new menu, internet, the lot. But it costs about £3k. However, I think that might be value for money on the basis you are getting a bang up to date M3 without having to buy one! Only other problem is that each time the car needs a software update, it needs to be fitted back with the original equipment. A controller isn't so bad but the full computer system - makes me think twice.

Ouch. I wouldn't be spending £3k on it. The Combox features are very cool, but are they practical enough to be worth £3k? Nope. Whilst it's very cool to be able to lock your car remotely from anywhere.....it's a very expensive thing to do compared to just remembering to do so when you park it.:roflmao:

Try bmminiparts.com on 01733 332 314 and expalin what you need, Will definately be cheaper than the dealer. Also try the cotswold group on 01432 375555; tell them your a member of bmwland and you wil get a discount. They should be a lot more helpful than the local dealers.

TBH, I'd not bother with the upgrade. The 1er has the old controller and the X the new. The shortcut buttons are handy, but holding the old controller left, right, forward, back does the same shortcut as the new buttons.

Replacing the center console when I looked at it is a lot more work than it looks, but if you do it, might as well put in a quick-shifter at the same time.

BTW: iDrive v1 vs v2 is a huge leap and loads betterer

The big thing for me would be future software upgrades needs you to remove the new CIC and revert back to the original CCC units, mega ball-ache!

The new iDrive is worth every penny, so much faster, full postcode search. Is it worth £3k compared to £100 TomTom..... nope, but no built-in sat-nav can win that war

What I was trying to say was whilst there is no doubt the new iDrive is in another league to the former - I don't think I'd be spending upwards of £2,000 to get it.

That's a big chunk of money for something that is probably going to add feck all value to the car in my opinion - maybe a few hundred quid with a charitable dealer. But it's still an 'out of year' upgrade and I've never seen those realise huge residual increases. Most dealers I've ever met would still say "But it's still a 20XX car and still a XX model" etc.

I agree, I wouldn't spend that amount to upgrade it. I'm not on about doing that, all I'm doing is replacing the wheel for the more modern one that has the direct buttons on for the functions. I did exactly the same on my old one, it was so much easier to use. I got the cover from somebody who already had one, hence I didn't know the part number.

I think that's a good idea and I can see why you're doing it. I know someone has said the buttons make minimal impact (can't be bothered scrolling back up) but I find them incredibly useful.

They're intuitive in placement and whereas I used to get very frustrated with the system in my 6 series, I find it a joy to use in the Z and X.

The software is excellent though I find myself checking the weather forecast when sat in traffic, reading the News and so on. I also find it quite funny when you ask the 'nice lady' on iDrive to read a News article out to you. She hasn't quite grasped the art of punctuation yet...:roflmao:

Navigation on the new system is a whole new world. They've blatantly ripped the Audi system off in terms of character input though - but it is excellent.+++

MrMe have you got the full online package in your car or the BMW live that links to your phone over bluetooth?

I specced the BMW Live option but can find very little information out about it (It was only £90 so worth a punt though)

I've got internet access on iDrive and bluetooth telephony, but I've not done the most recent update for apps. MrsMe has the lot. You name a listed option - she put it on her car. I really do mean that too.:roflmao:

When I went to look at a car a few months back and started to look at the individual trim, she quickly looked daggers at me. Strange that. Especially has hers has full individual leather and piped trim. But hey, I'm not stupid. I know when to say nowt and get on with life.:roflmao:

I've no idea how it accesses the internet in all honesty. I thought they all had built in devices that went through BMW and out to the internet don't they? That was always my understanding of the BMW web telemetry and gubbins.

For example, my 6 series had none of this - but it could call BMW in an emergency and it once did when I had no mobile with me, so it can't be SIM based?

The cars have a SIM built-in if you've got the BMW Connected option (with nav pro/bus). All the online stuff uses it, but it's not free.

You get 3 or 4 years service with a new car and 1 year with an AUC vehicle. £120 a year there after.

I'm not sure what the new iDrive does in addition to this, but I think it uses your data connection via your phones Bluetooth as well.

There are two options as far as i'm aware, there's the one that i'm getting which bluetooths to your phone and accesses the internet through that for news, weather, local POI's etc. Then you've got the full one that has it's own sim card, not sure what extra functionality you get with that one as I didn't look into it too much.