Quiet tyres for 2005 A8 D3

wordsman

Could anyone give me suggestions for quiet tyres for my A8 please? At the moment I have Dunlop Sport 9000, 255/45ZR18, which came with the car two years ago. I've only done 15,000 miles, but still, they do seem to have lasted well.

And I'm a noise obsessive. The Dunlops don't seem particularly noisy but I've not had anything to compare them with. Which? have started reviewing tyre noise, but they don't have anything close to this size. They're getting a bit worn and I suspect need replacing soon, so I thought I'd shop around.

thanks for your help :grin:

If you can wait until November, they will all be labelled with EU noise rating in dB.

It is a drive-by measurement, but I would imagine there is a pretty good correlation with interior noise.

Some tyre manufacturers already carry this info. on their website, usually in the sizes page for any given model of tyre. e.g. Vredestein and Michelin. All must by November.

Continental Tyres -EU Tyre Label - What does it tell you?

Edited by snapdragon

This isn't very scientific but I had Dunlops on before and have recently replaced all four with Falken 452s. If anything I would say the Falken's are quieter but like I say - not very scientific. I did a lot of research though and the Falkens always seem to get good reviews and good feedback on performance car forums from people using them. They are also MUCH cheaper than the top names. I paid £800 for 4 of them whereas the top brands were around £1,200 at least. It will be interesting to see how they wear though as on our other car (run around) we have had one decent brand tyre on there since we bought it and all the others that had cheaper tyres have been replaced through wear but the decent one still has ages left on it. However, they were proper budget ones and the Falkens are somewhere between budget and premium so hopefully will last longer, otherwise it's a false economy.

My advice is to stick with the D9000s if you can still get them. After 3 sets of D9000s on my 2006 D3 Sport (first set came with the car) I switched to Falken 452s and have regretted it ever since. As well as being noisier on most surfaces, they are far more brittle and lack the subtle compliancy of the Dunlops. On the plus side they seem to grip slightly better, but this in no way compensates for the NVH issues. The good news is that they are wearing out much quicker than the D9000s, so I'll be able to change back to something decent sooner than I originally thought!

Price wise they were cheaper (£600 from Event Tyres vs £800 for the Dunlops), but a false economy really. Stick with the Dunlops if you can :)

That's interesting, I was wondering if the Falkens would wear quicker and become a false economy but thought I'd give them a go and find out for myself. I must say I haven't found them noisy but then have only had them on for around 1,000 miles so far so will report back any developments as they wear on a bit. I guess a lot of this depends on the type of driving that you do as well as mine is all long journeys on motorways. Probably wouldn't notice the wear as quickly as if it was lots of A / B roads or I lived in Milton Keynes and drove around 500 roundabouts every day.

I've had quiet a few on mine including Mitchelin, Pirelli Falkens and Dunlops. Noisiest were the Falkens , Followed by the Pirelli . Mitchelins were quietest and gave good mileage. The first Dulops I had were quiet noisy, but I now have a set of Dunlop Sports 'J' (Jaguar !) rated which seem to be the quietest yet- given that mine is on 20'' wheels noise can be an issue!

I wouldn't say the Falkens were particularly noisy, but I had to change them after about 15k as the tread was separating from the side wall!! After the Falkens came the 'J' rated Dunlops which are on now, and they seem very quiet in comparison.I've got Falkens on my wife's car and they seem very quiet.Not sure what's happening with tyres, but my Neighbour has just been told that 3 Bridgestones on his Fiat 500 need replacing as the side walls are cracked after 2 years even though they are only 50% worn.