The most under-performing, over-hyped driver currently in F1 is...

theduisbergkid

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to say, Bruno Senna. Simply not up to it. At least the comparisons with Ayrton have now stopped.

Karthikeyan is not competitive F1 standard, but then he's not exactly over hyped either.

Worst, under performing and outright dangerous yet wildly over hyped in his own mind driver is Maldonado. That guy genuinely is a few spanners short of a full tool kit.

This topic always makes my brain revert back to thinking about the disaster on wheels that was Takuma Sato. I say "was" but that should be an "is" as he's still wasting track space in Indy Car +++

Taku has been fantastic in indycars. He nearly beat Dario to the Indy 500 this year and drove a great race on Sunday to finish a very close 2nd. His results have not reflected his speed and race craft since he joined the indycar championship due to a large dose of bad luck, mechanical issues and inexperience in the intricacies of indycar racing.

Sadly I agree with Garçon about Bruno.

I still find stuff like this amusing - armchair experts slating people who are, effectively some of the best drivers in the world.

No, they're not all Vettel, and yes, some of them are pay drives, but sponsors don't just arbitrarily throw money at drivers and teams just to get their stickers on the cars - they want visibility - and preferably positive :)

Mook, I think you'll find those of us with a genuine interest in motorsport, like me and jimdiesel, know that all too well.

Even with a couple of paying seats, in F1 you're looking at 24 of arguably the best 100 drivers in the world. The difference between front and back of the grid, cars aside, is tiny - even moreso this year than ever.

I find it hilarious when 'fans' in motorsport forums continually slate certain drivers and claim they're "rubbish".

The only real exception for me is Maldonado. I'm still not sure why or how Sir Frank gave him a seat - sure he's quick, but he has always had a screw loose, has always got himself into stupid accidents, and is an outright danger to marshals on track when he (repeatedly) ignores flags. I don't believe the stewards have been remotely harsh enough on him, and I would honestly support the FIA withdrawing his super licence.

I don't see this as a thread where anyone is saying a driver is crap. They're F1 drivers, so none of them are crap.

People are just saying they're either over-hyped or under-performing, aren't they? Do you need to be a motorsport expert to say that?

Would every single one of them make us all look positively stupid in a like-for-like car race with us? Yes, of course they would.

I don't know the first thing about Ski-jumping, but I still know Eddie the Eagle wasn't world class.

If a fan of any sport can't comment on the ability of said sportsmen, what is the point of sport?

It stands to reason that when someone is describing a sportsman as being 'rubbish' it's all relative, and you wouldn't have thought that needs explaining?

I'm a little surprised no one has said Button. His title winning season was when his car was so far ahead of the rest it was funny. The second half of the season when the other teams caught up, he was very poor.

For supposed big teams that should be challenging he has not cut the mustard imho, at Williams and now mclaren (his second last week squews that a bit).

I was reading an article the other day (Maybe in F1 Racing?) where they said that Maldonado is the holy grail for a team like Williams, and many others up and down the grid.

He may be a bit unhinged, but he's also a rare breed - a pay driver who is quick enough to win races.

Most teams would kill for someone like that.

I'm a little surprised no one has said Button. His title winning season was when his car was so far ahead of the rest it was funny. The second half of the season when the other teams caught up, he was very poor.

For supposed big teams that should be challenging he has not cut the mustard imho, at Williams and now mclaren (his second last week squews that a bit).

Frankly that's bollocks.

He out-raced Hamilton last season, and for a time, looked like he'd absolutely destroyed Hamilton's self confidence.

The McLaren has been an inconsistent dog of a car this season - but it seems like they've rediscovered what it was that made it quick in the first few races, and Jenson was right back at the sharp end again, even out-qualifying Hamilton.

As for the Brawn - it was quick early on, but was soon reeled in and wasn't even a top 3 performer in the latter half of the season, when lack of development cash started to show. Jenson absolutely destroyed Rubens in an identical car, and Rubens has never been a slouch himself.

Let's not forget that Button also dragged some really poor BAR / Honda cars around to respectable finishes, too.

I'm a little surprised no one has said Button.

Jenson Button is the most under performing and over-hyped driver in F1? This is a wind up.

He outpointed Hamilton by 50+ points last year and was runner up in the Championship, ahead of Mark Webber in what most would say was a superior car (the Red Bull) - by 12 points.

Hamilton finished fifth.

Hence, this is definitely a wind up!

Edited by MrMe

Mook, there's no disputing they're all top drivers, but the chances of any of them ever reading this banter or it making the blindest bit of difference to their careers is zero.

Back on topic - Maldonado is interesting, he is erratic, but quick, and even when he screws up he is entertaining which his sponsors will like. JB is a bit of a moaner, but hardly over-hyped. Paul di Resta was talked up, and has done OK, but just OK.

Who do we see coming in from other formulas next year to snap up seats with smaller teams then ?

Don't really see JB as a 'moaner' - I think he does get a bit 'down' about car problems - but he's very straight and honest, and he will admit that he's the one at fault, too.

In recent-ish history, I'd nominate Ralf Shoemaker as over-hyped and under-performing.

Some said he had the potential to rival his brother, but it ended up that he only seemed to get an F1 drive because people assumed he'd be in the same class as his brother. Overall, he was pretty hopeless.

Edited by Twinspark