Good Luck from the Olympic Sponsors

Andy_Bangle

In the canteen at this site they are giving away great big chocolate 'gold medals' for anyone who orders a large special filling sandwich.

That's about as Olympic as a Little Chef breakfast. :P

Ha, I had an Olympic breakfast at Little Chef last year, they should be sued for misrepresentation.

The most over priced load of sh1t I've ever eaten, they have closed down now like a lot of Little Chefs, hardly surprising.

That's about as Olympic as a Little Chef breakfast. :P

:roflmao:

From memory, a "celebrity" chef tried to re-ignite the LC brand, but who really, in this day and age, eats high fat, high salt, fried junk? No wonder the brand faded with the 80's.

It's got nothing to do with the type of food they sell, high fat, high salt fried junk is as popular as ever, Little Chef started dying because they didn't spend any money on their properties, so they started to decay, let the brand stagnate (as well as the properties), yet still charged a premium for something you could get for a third of the price, and better quality/quantity at any cafe anywhere else.

IMO, they should have kept up the maintenance on the properties, kept them clean and in good repair, and refurbished them where necessary, stuck to the basics, a decent fry up, tea, coffee etc, and only charged a small premium for the 'brand'.

Thinking of Little Crap, has reminded me of Wimpy. As a child in single digit years, the Brown Derby's (ring donut with ice cream and chopped nuts/chocolate sauce) they used to do were ridiculously delicious.

We still have a Wimpy, it's still **** even compared to McDonald's and Burger King which is saying something, they still do a Knickerbockerglory though!

We still have a Wimpy, it's still **** even compared to McDonald's and Burger King which is saying something, they still do a Knickerbockerglory though!

Within spitting distance of the Arndale no doubt! There's one near Clapham Junction still. Knickerbockerglory....a Great British pud.

Little Chef died because the owner of the business had no idea how to run the business, how to treat his staff, how to instill belief in the business into his staff, etc, etc. Dinosaur from the 70s who should have been left there.

It was Heston Blumnenthal - and a great job he did. Shame the muppet that was the chair man didn't see the value in it.

But the gooseberry pancakes they used to do (yonks ago) were great. Or maybe my memories are tainted?

As for McD's, BK, KFC et al - I'm with Jon on that one. I can't remember the last time I ate any of that shiite.

Little Chef died because the owner of the business had no idea how to run the business, how to treat his staff, how to instill belief in the business into his staff, etc, etc. Dinosaur from the 70s who should have been left there.

He did a pretty good job for 20 years or so, not sure what went wrong after that, perhaps a new owner or something? it's only the last ten years or so theyve fallen apart, they used to be a British institution on ever major route across the country, now there are just rotting dilapidated boarded up buildings on every major route across the country.

Do they still own all these properties? there are three of them within a 15 minute drive of my house, all boarded up, two of them have been for nearly ten years, and one of them for over a year now, they seem to be just sitting on them.

on ever major route across the country

That's raised an interesting point. Whilst marketing is a fascinating and endless subject (to some extent) and I have little experience, talk about brand presence/land grab - very powerful. perhaps the Starbucks of their day.

I went to one a few months back in sheer desperation and whilst weak with hunger.

I remember surly staff, a very greasy bacon sandwich and watery coffee, for about £10.

Making it more expensive than the Mayfair sandwich shop we use at work.

VC companies rarely see the detail in the businesses they buy, because if they did, they probably wouldn't buy them.

Still, if they lose money, they can offset it against the profits they make on other ventures.