Yahoo account hacked - what to do?

cabby

I thought this had happened as, from what I could tell, everyone in my address book had received an email titled 'you will love here' containing the following and sent from said account:

hello my friend

if you need apple things

just choose here :

very good company

<www.xx-xxx.com>

enjoy here

When I went into yahoo there was a warning symbol notifying me that my 'account has been accessed from a device we did not recognize'. I ran Sophos AV (MBP is new and only a few weeks old and had not installed previously :() and this found a malware thingy which I cleaned up. I have also rest my yahoo passord to something stronger.

Anything else I should do or check?

Edited by cabby

Make sure there are no re-directs / forwards to other accounts, apart from that put it down to experience.

BTW, it's EXTREMELY rare for a Yahoo/hotmail/gmail account to get hacked. Most account takeovers occur when people use the same email/password combo for internet forums/stores or click on links in spoof email. The forum/store gets hacked (mostly because they don't update their s/w), all the account details are harvested, then a few days later you're email/skype/ebay accounts etc are taken over.

Make sure there are no re-directs / forwards to other accounts, apart from that put it down to experience.

BTW, it's EXTREMELY rare for a Yahoo/hotmail/gmail account to get hacked. Most account takeovers occur when people use the same email/password combo for internet forums/stores or click on links in spoof email. The forum/store gets hacked (mostly because they don't update their s/w), all the account details are harvested, then a few days later you're email/skype/ebay accounts etc are taken over.

Yip, happened to me when Linkedin got hacked

Thanks - password and security questions changed. No forwards or re-directs in place so none to delete.

Like most I suspect I tend to use one or two passwords for most logins. If I didn't i'd need to write them down or save them electronically which is probably even riskier.

post-6083-1379144856_thumb.jpg

I think I have traced the source of the problem :P.

post-6083-137914485598_thumb.jpg

Edited by cabby

BTW, if you have a GMAIL or Yahoo email account you should turn on two-factor authentication +++

Once the feature is turned on, any suspicious account sign-in attempt will be challenged by a second sign-in verification beyond the initial password validation. To confirm the legitimacy of the sign-in attempt, you or the hijacker will have to answer your account security question or enter a verification code that will be sent to your mobile phone. Presumably, only you, as the legitimate user, can sign in. Account hijackers will be blocked since they neither know your security answer nor possess your mobile phone.

Yahoo! Introduces Stronger User Authentication