"Yes, I was hacked. Hard."

Andy_Bangle

In the space of one hour, my entire digital life was destroyed. First my Google account was taken over, then deleted. Next my Twitter account was compromised, and used as a platform to broadcast racist and homophobic messages. And worst of all, my AppleID account was broken into, and my hackers used it to remotely erase all of the data on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook.
At 4:33 p.m., according to Apple’s tech support records, someone called AppleCare claiming to be me. Apple says the caller reported that he couldn’t get into his .Me e-mail — which, of course was my .Me e-mail.

In response, Apple issued a temporary password. It did this despite the caller’s inability to answer security questions I had set up. And it did this after the hacker supplied only two pieces of information that anyone with an internet connection and a phone can discover.

At 4:50 p.m., a password reset confirmation arrived in my inbox. I don’t really use my .Me e-mail, and rarely check it. But even if I did, I might not have noticed the message because the hackers immediately sent it to the trash. They then were able to follow the link in that e-mail to permanently reset my AppleID password.

At 4:52 p.m., a Gmail password recovery e-mail arrived in my .Me mailbox. Two minutes later, another e-mail arrived notifying me that my Google account password had changed.

At 5:02 p.m., they reset my Twitter password. At 5:00 they used iCloud’s “Find My” tool to remotely wipe my iPhone. At 5:01 they remotely wiped my iPad. At 5:05 they remotely wiped my MacBook. Around this same time, they deleted my Google account. At 5:10, I placed the call to AppleCare. At 5:12 the attackers posted a message to my account on Twitter taking credit for the hack.

By wiping my MacBook and deleting my Google account, they now not only had the ability to control my account, but were able to prevent me from regaining access. And crazily, in ways that I don’t and never will understand, those deletions were just collateral damage. My MacBook data — including those irreplaceable pictures of my family, of my child’s first year and relatives who have now passed from this life — weren’t the target. Nor were the eight years of messages in my Gmail account. The target was always Twitter. My MacBook data was torched simply to prevent me from getting back in.

How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking

It turns out, a billing address and the last four digits of a credit card number are the only two pieces of information anyone needs to get into your iCloud account. Once supplied, Apple will issue a temporary password, and that password grants access to iCloud.

Apple and Amazon Know About a Massive Hack Exploit; And Have Done Nothing (Updated)

All I can say is, WOW!

Edited by Andy_Bangle

He's talking about the outcome of the hacking. Come on.....

The outcome of the hacking was 'hard'? Nope, still doesn't make sense.

Unless he means it in the same way that Micheal Jackson made us all use 'Bad' to mean 'good'?

But even then, it's a stupid thing to say.

The outcome of the hacking was 'hard'? Nope, still doesn't make sense.

Unless he means it in the same way that Micheal Jackson made us all use 'Bad' to mean 'good'?

But even then, it's a stupid thing to say.

It's just an Americanism, that's all. Means bad. The outcome was bad. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Anyway, nobody cares. The outcome sucked whatever words you use or don't use.

Edited by Mac