Mtb tyres, recommendations

Luke

Went out last week. XC route, had my full mud, gloop tyres on from pre hernia days when it was p1ssing down. Now the ground is pretty dry I need some more suitable ones. Anyone got some favourites? I'd say 80% dry and 20% mild mud. Now too worried on price. Ta

Sorry Luke, just realised you weren't asking for opinions on mud tyres. That said High Rollers are quite simply the nuts and you can run them front and rear. I run them (2.35's) in all but really wet and shitty conditions. They do a 1.9 and a 2.1 in single ply (ideal for XC) and dual (for tougher terrains) and even a foldable (great for the long haul riders) and for tubeless rims +++

Any recommendations for looser stuff, shale, gravel etc. I've been struggling with traction uphill and tight corners with Rocket Rons.

That type of material doesn't disperse like the powdery silt you find (in summer or The Alps) on fast corners/berms. On the climbs check your body weight distribution. Do you have rear suss? If so lock on pro-pedal or similar depending on what shock you're running. On the tight, loose corners, scrub your speed slightly before the corner (ideally not :grin:) and use your legs to encourage the back end round.

Tyre choice is so subjective (ask anyone that races!) but with any cornering on any terrain look for tyres which are harder compounds and which have closely packed knobs on the edge (larger = more traction, but more rolling resistance, smaller = less traction but less rolling resistance) as these will help you pull both in and out of a corner (at speed obviously for optimum buzz:grin:).

Edited by JonC

I have used crossmarks on my sons bike, nice grippy, but very lightweight tyre. Very pleased with them. Just got back from the alps with it and was paranoid that he was going to rip them, so got him running some minions super tacky 2.5. He was very pleased with that!

I normally use high roller LUST 2.1 on the front of mine. Like those a lot.

Had a medusa on the rear - never ever buy one of those. hated it.

advantage - nice general, reasonably lightweight. very pleasant.

That type of material doesn't disperse like the powdery silt you find (in summer or The Alps) on fast corners/berms. On the climbs check your body weight distribution. Do you have rear suss? If so lock on pro-pedal or similar depending on what shock you're running. On the tight, loose corners, scrub your speed slightly before the corner (ideally not :grin:) and use your legs to encourage the back end round.

Tyre choice is so subjective (ask anyone that races!) but with any cornering on any terrain look for tyres which are harder compounds and which have closely packed knobs on the edge (larger = more traction, but more rolling resistance, smaller = less traction but less rolling resistance) as these will help you pull both in and out of a corner (at speed obviously for optimum buzz:grin:).

Cheers +++

I do mainly XC on a hardtail Scott Scale 20, just finding that on steep climbs on loose crap, the back wheel keeps losing traction if I'm out the saddle. I've also had instances where the front has given way when cornering on looser material to the point I half expect it now. The rear Rocket Ron is almost ready for renewal hence I'm looking for something that gives a bit more grip, don't need a full on mud plugger +++

Cheers +++

I do mainly XC on a hardtail Scott Scale 20, just finding that on steep climbs on loose crap, the back wheel keeps losing traction if I'm out the saddle. I've also had instances where the front has given way when cornering on looser material to the point I half expect it now. The rear Rocket Ron is almost ready for renewal hence I'm looking for something that gives a bit more grip, don't need a full on mud plugger +++

I'd still go down a XC-sized High Roller route (1.9 for example) and try them out. You should notice the superb grip in the corners. Back-end grip out of the saddle for very loose terrain; not sure if any tyre will solve that. Granny gear it, hunker down in the saddle aiding traction, and power through the quad burn until the top of the hill, when the real fun starts +++:grin: