Lane display on satnav screen

Ebzoid

Hi there, I wonder if anybody can help/enlighten me:

I have a 2008 57 plate 2.7 Quattro Le Mans A6 which I've had for just over a year (and absolutely love!). I updated the nav discs last year and now have 3D maps enabled.

A friend has just acquired a 2009 A5 and says that his nav display shows which lane he needs to be in e.g at junctions and motorway exits, much like you get with a tomtom.

Does anybody know whether I'd be able to get my nav display to do this with either updated 2012 nav discs or firmware upgrade?

Thanks very much for your help.

Hi there, I wonder if anybody can help/enlighten me:

I have a 2008 57 plate 2.7 Quattro Le Mans A6 which I've had for just over a year (and absolutely love!). I updated the nav discs last year and now have 3D maps enabled.

A friend has just acquired a 2009 A5 and says that his nav display shows which lane he needs to be in e.g at junctions and motorway exits, much like you get with a tomtom.

Does anybody know whether I'd be able to get my nav display to do this with either updated 2012 nav discs or firmware upgrade?

Thanks very much for your help.

Very unlikely. Your friend's A5 almost certainly has the 3G Sat Nav system, and it is probably the hard disk based version as well which were much superior to the 2G version which is in your car. The A6 was facelifted for the 2009 model year (ie production from Summer 2008) and the Sat Nav was updated to the 3G version at that time. However the DVD based 3G version did not include lane information, again leading me to believe your friend has the hard disk version in his A5 which I think (along with the A4) also had the update to the 3G variant at about the same time

No lane info (lane assist) is a major hard ware upgrade with cameras etc. It has been available for many years so not limited to MMI 3G at all. It was available on 2G and 3G systems as it comes up in the cluster and not the MMI.

I think what the OP was asking about was the presence of schematic display on the MMI screen when approaching a junction and being asked to make a change in direction by the Sat Nav, not the lane assist system which alerts you to other cars or prevents you drifting out of lane, so no hardware upgrades or cameras required. Certainly the lane information provided on the SD based sat nav system in my C7 is far superior to that provided by the DVD based system in my C6 where the info displayed in the DIS was simplistic regarding lane changes etc and the map simply zoomed in to show the route in more detail. In my C7 on the MMI screen I now get a very clear schematic of the road/junction showing which lane to be in.