Car talk

Woppum

This forum does not talk about cars enough, not with real passion, not the way we used to.

where are threads about 458's vs macca's, rs4 vs m3, gti vs bucrappi.

we have had some interesting debates over Aston Martin which got my fingers flowing.

Now to open the floor. What is the first debate?

We don't have to own the cars, but we all aspire to them.

My fingers are ready.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually not seen an RS3 yet. Bro has a 1M which is a real hoot and mad fast when the 2 turbos get going. 3rd gear wheelspins! I love the idea of the RS3 and the engine is one powerful unit which gets high praise in the press. Would like to hear from an owner as to what they're like on the road. Personally if the RS3 was a bit chunkier on the arches I would have that over the 1M from a shape point of view.

Countach all the way. Audi should take note.

Lancia Delta Integrale Evo II. Best drivers car in hatchback form of all time? I think so.

Alfa Romeo Zagato S - the car I've grown to appreciate the styling of with every passing year.

Renault Alpine GTA V6 - the car I'd so loved to have driven at the time.

Golf GTi - is it's day over? It's gone remarkably quite on the GTi front hasn't it? R32 as well. What happened to them?

Lancia Delta Integrale Evo II. Best drivers car in hatchback form of all time? I think so.

Ahh, now this I can speak from experience on.

Great car? Yes.

Iconic? Yes.

Fast? Yes. (obviously being relative to its age, modern cars are much faster)

Handle well? Yes. Sticks to the road like glue.

Best drivers car in hatchback form of all time? Nope, not even close.

Hugely fragile and temperamental, frustrating car to live with, massive grip, great feel, but you're living on a knife edge, push the (admittedly high) limits and it's game over very quickly.

I'm glad I've done it, and truth be told, I'd do it again, simply because I love the look of them, but there are better hot hatches out there, you'll have more fun in a mk2 GTi for example, and a mk2 Golf Rally is an infinitely better car, it just doesn't have the same kudos.

Edited by Tipex

Therin lies the problem.

I want a new car but nothing at all grabs me by the balls and says "buy me".

Part of the issue for me is the parts bin sharing thing, I know it's been going on for decades, it just wasn't so obvious, every brand had its own identity, and they were all so different, everything seems to be so bland and uninspiring these days.

When people are talking about Astons and saying they are bland, haven't changed etc, you know something is wrong with modern car production.

On the 'fantasy lottery garage' list, I realised that I mostly wouldn't choose anything that's currently in production.

I sometimes think I'd have a Maserati Quattroporte (current shape) - but then I look back at the Quattroporte IV and decide I'd prefer one of those.

But I'd have a real task on my hands choosing between a 512BB, Testarossa / 512TR, 288GTO or 550 Maranello. The good thing is that you could probably just about get all of them for the price of a modern day equivalent.

I was bought up around knackered MG Midgets and MG B's. They were my dad's passion. My first car was a Triumph Herald 13/60 convertible bought for £800 and sold for £3500 to fund the deposit on my first house (the whole deposit, bonkers thinking about it now!!)

I couldn't abide by the thought of having a modern convertible. Can't think of one that I would be happy being seen driving round with the roof down.

Drive a classic with the roof down and people stop to look and admire, drive a modern convertible "look at that cock knocker" is the stock reply!!

Golf GTi - is it's day over? It's gone remarkably quite on the GTi front hasn't it? R32 as well. What happened to them?

There is another problem. The cost. I bought my R32 in 2003 for about £24k with a few bits extra on. A golf GTI MK6 is what now £25-30k and the R £33-38k depending on spec. They're just mental money new. I've seen a handful of Golf R and even GTI are prett rare.

In terms of Ferraris, the only ones that would interest me, would be a 250 California, and a 355.

The 355 has a shape that to me, is the epitome of what a sports car should look like, it was also one of the first genuinely useable Ferraris.

Agreed. The 250 GTO is my dream car, but the 355 in any format is probably the Ferrari I would (and once came very close to) buy. Rosso Corsa with Crema interior - and the good examples are starting to look like one of the better investments in 'budget' Ferrari's. If you spend around £40-50k you get a pretty much mint example with low miles.

I must admit there hasn't been too much of late for me get excited about in the car world. However, as impractical as it might be, the new F12 looks great. Can't wait for the video reviews of it.

I always like a lairy Porsche so we will have all of those 991 varients coming too. If life is kind I'd like to find myself in a 997 2S as my next car.

In terms of Ferraris, the only ones that would interest me, would be a 250 California, and a 355.

The 355 has a shape that to me, is the epitome of what a sports car should look like, it was also one of the first genuinely useable Ferraris.

I'd only be interested in the 400/412i, Daytona and the 456 GT.

Much prefer front engined Ferrari's.

I must admit there hasn't been too much of late for me get excited about in the car world. However, as impractical as it might be, the new F12 looks great. Can't wait for the video reviews of it.

I always like a lairy Porsche so we will have all of those 991 varients coming too. If life is kind I'd like to find myself in a 997 2S as my next car.

The f12 will be magnificent.

ferrari really are on fire with their cars these days. 10 years ago they were all about their looks and their noise. When the 430 arrived they added real speed to the table. The 458 faster still, with better looks and I'd say for the first time ever a fantastic interior. It's hard to tell but I bet they have made the f12 even better.

You could even say a perfect garage would be :

458 for the wk end

F12 for the daily duties and euro blasts

FF for taking the dog for a walk

enzo for showing off

Never thought It but in a dream world I'd probably be a Ferrari man through and through now.

7f23a07c3c230613dd8f3f1425a3b45d.jpg

The Enzo is almost a victim of timing. It's meant to be one of those occasional "special" Ferraris, but it has already been overtaken in capability by their latest stock models.

Until the F12 arrived, the modern Ferrari I lusted after most was the 599 GTO. That moniker is saved for the very best, and the 599 is definitely that.

In fact I could happily have a 3 car dream garage of GTOs - 250, 288 and 599.

I can completely understand why Chris Evans paid what he did for his 250 GTO. If you've got the money to spend, I can't think of anything more worthy of that amount, be it a boat, a plane or a car. It's just sublime.

I don't think it can be compared to a boat or a plane, more like a painting. It's a work of art, not a tool or floating hotel.