Advice/Help needed about fuel tank

stooH

This is one on behalf of my Dad who is currently in the middle of a breakdown (car and mental) somewhere in deepest darkest France.

Background...

He went over in his car the weekend before last, broke down somewhere south of Le Man on the drive down. Got towed down to Tours where the car was deposited (Sunday nowhere open) stuck in a hire car to continue his onward journey.

Initially he had an inkling it was dodgy fuel so asked for a sample to be taken and tested. 12 days later he's had his injectors replaced (didn't properly work but 2 of them were blocked) and now they're in the process of stripping down the engine to try and work out what the problem is as it's not running properly.

He's due to come back on Tuesday and it looks likely it will be without his car as the garage don't appear to have a clue what they're doing - it's a Hyundai Tucson and he specifically asked for the car to be taken to a Hyundai garage but the breakdown service insisted it went to their normal place. So he's currently waiting to see if the breakdown company will fly him back to the UK (with step mum and her uncle) and repatriate his car for him. It's going to mean he has to go back down there at some point to close up the house and bring back all the stuff they're going to have to leave behind - this was meant to be the trip to close up the house for the winter. He's clearly not at all chuffed.

Anyway, the problem is this... he's been told that it wasn't dodgy fuel that caused it, it was paint that blocked the injectors. Apparently Hyundai still (or did when he got his car - 55 plate I think) use metal fuel tanks. And to prevent condensation they paint the inside, it appears that it's this paint that has come off and clogged up the engine :eek:. Does this sound right to you?

I think he's going to have a word with the Hyundai garage as well as you can live with bits breaking and wearing out but if it is the case it seems a bit of a design flaw - I don't expect he'll have much luck though.

Something doesn't smell right

That's the burning smell of the paint in the engine block :roflmao:

After a bit of a Google it appears that they are painted internally but the filter needs to be regularly maintained to capture any chips, Dad says it was covered by the services but I wonder if possibly it got missed last time or failed somehow?

After a bit of a Google it appears that they are painted internally but the filter needs to be regularly maintained to capture any chips, Dad says it was covered by the services but I wonder if possibly it got missed last time or failed somehow?

He means, the 'fuel filter - change' box was ticked in the service book and mentioned in the invoice.

The normal service place hasn't changed it in years, but still charge for it......