Speed cameras on the M1 and M42

Milo

Are the gantry speed cameras on the M1 (Nottingham area) and the M42 only active when enforcing variable speed limits?

Everyone seems to tank past them at 80+ when the NSL is in force which makes me wonder if they are only used when it's 40/50/60 limits.

Google throws up a lot of internet wars on the subject but the consensus seems to be they are not on when the limit is 70.

I've had to drive that route a few times now with many more to come so it would be good to get a definitive answer.

Are the gantry speed cameras on the M1 (Nottingham area) and the M42 only active when enforcing variable speed limits?

Everyone seems to tank past them at 80+ when the NSL is in force which makes me wonder if they are only used when it's 40/50/60 limits.

Google throws up a lot of internet wars on the subject but the consensus seems to be they are not on when the limit is 70.

I've had to drive that route a few times now with many more to come so it would be good to get a definitive answer.

That is the case on the M25, although personally I dont risk it, you can bet they'll turn them in one day.

I hate driving on the M42 as my PogoAlert quite rightly alerts me to the presence of speed cameras (although I can see the gantries anyway) and so bleeps and warns every few hundred yards. Plus those drivers who speed up and brake before each gantry instead of just maintaining a steady speed.

So instead of driving up the M5 onto the M42 across to the east, I drive A34 > A43 > M1 to reach Nottingham just to avoid the M42 gantries. On the section of M1 I use there are very few gantry cameras.