Virgin broadband- great wifi improver

Calm Chris

A month or so ago I bought a Netgear WN3000 RP range extender. They are £50 in PC world.

Transformed the wifi power and speeds in and outside the house,

Test Date: Oct 16, 2012 08:14

Connection Type: Wifi

Server: London

Download: 17.56 Mbps

Upload: 4.75 Mbps

Ping: 16 ms

Old rate

Test Date: Aug 17, 2012 09:13

Connection Type: Wifi

Server: London

Download: 8.12 Mbps

Upload: 1.07 Mbps

Ping: 45 ms

(tested with ipad via speed test)

That's double what the speeds are via wifi direct to the Superhub. There's also an impressive new signal range which now gives the whole three floors of our house full power bars, and still gives some signal strength 30 ft down the garden.

Set up was really difficult :grin:, turn on wait a minute, go to Superhub press WPN button to sync and that was that.

On any device you now have the main wifi address and one marked EXTn, log on to the EXTn and way you go.

The unit also has a wired port so it could be positioned by one of the smart tv's should I ever what to use the rubbish smart service that comes with Panasonic TV.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might buy one of those.+++

The problem for us is that EldestMissMe cannot get a WiFi signal in her bedroom. If you saw where it is (above the living room where the router is, and about 8ft to the left) you'd laugh your socks off, but the Superhub can't get a signal to it. This sounds like it'll solve it quite nicely and whilst there are lots of change extenders out there I'd prefer to get one someone has tried and been impressed by.+++

I'm curious, were both of the speeds tested in the same place in the house and the same distance away from the hotspots?

If the Range Extender was connected to the Wifi of the Superhub then it shows that the speed of the wifi of the primary SuperHub can't be that bad surely. I can understand if the Range Extended is being used to extend the signal to another floor and as a result the speed improves though, that is exactly what you would expect.

MrMe you can use an Airport express to do the same as this if you have one. +++

The readings were taken from the morning room table, as the crow flies about 20 ft (two rooms, one set of stairs away- the super hub is in the study / ex box room on the 1st floor). So a direct before after where the signal range was just ok, go to the next room (kitchen) and the Superhub couldn't cover it.

They do say if you need absolute top speed then the unit does have some limitations. Then again wifi does have limitations, as in the at the desktop direct wired to the hub we get our full fat 105 Gb rate.

I'm curious, were both of the speeds tested in the same place in the house and the same distance away from the hotspots?

If the Range Extender was connected to the Wifi of the Superhub then it shows that the speed of the wifi of the primary SuperHub can't be that bad surely. I can understand if the Range Extended is being used to extend the signal to another floor and as a result the speed improves though, that is exactly what you would expect.

MrMe you can use an Airport express to do the same as this if you have one. +++

Aye I know but I don't have an Airport Express.+++

I like the sheer simplicity of this too and having looked online it does get good reviews from most.

p.s. and I've found it on Amazon for £49.99 with free next day delivery as Prime member.+++

Edited by MrMe

I have the Virgin Media engineer here tomorrow - I am getting their Superhub Modem/Router installed (thanks to suggestion from MrMe !) FOC and I may just add this Netgear Range Extender - should keep MrsTP happy !! We've had real issues of late with loss of Internet Signal and hopefuly, they will also sort out why the V+ Box continued to freeze, mid programme.

Did you get the placement modem/router free? +++

Absolutely - as instructed by my "IT Consultant" !!! Not being charged for Installation either - I became Victor Meldrew during a 40 minute complaint call !!!

IIRC it takes me up to a 30mB service at an additional £1.76 pcm. :o

Absolutely - as instructed by my "IT Consultant" !!! Not being charged for Installation either - I became Victor Meldrew during a 40 minute complaint call !!!

IIRC it takes me up to a 30mB service at an additional £1.76 pcm. :o

Odd down here the Superhub upgrade is all self instal. Get box, plug in, phone vm and they ping the mac addy and that's it.

Odd down here the Superhub upgrade is all self instal.

It would be here too, Chri5 but we've had Internet connection "issues" since the Summer here and this is their latest attempt to "fix" the issue, hence the Engineer !!

They seem to hate the words "we're moving to a new supplier" !!

TP27 had an older set up and his router was constantly power cycling, but he was with Virgin and they'd not offered him the Superhub for whatever reason (I'm not sure if they leave it until a move or whatever?).

As most of the issues with the early Superhub firmware seem resolved now, it simply saves him buying a new router.+++

Have a look at these great little boxes as well. I have one and is nifty to have for what they do.+++

I just got back from collecting mine from the Royal Mail sorting office, they're tiny little things aren't they? I bought it as a lot of the hotels I stay in only have ethernet connections in the room, no wireless so now I can create a wireless network easily whereever I go. Nice.

I just got back from collecting mine from the Royal Mail sorting office, they're tiny little things aren't they? I bought it as a lot of the hotels I stay in only have ethernet connections in the room, no wireless so now I can create a wireless network easily whereever I go. Nice.

You know what, that's a good idea. I might go buy one of those anyway. You're right, it's a bloody pain having to use cabled internet when in hotels and I've stayed in a few where that's the only facility they offer.+++

I've had eleventeen superhubs* now in 15 months and this one has lasted the longest I think (3+ months). It seems to be the most stable as well so maybe VM have finally listened to thousands of customers telling them their hardware and accompanying software was gash.

Unfortunately when you've had as many problems as I've had with VM and had to deal with their appalling customer service, you have absolutely zero confidence in anything they say or do, or their products.

The doubling of my BB speed seems to getting done by Usain Bolt himself, inbetween his other commitments. It's gone from April 2012 to July 2012, to Dec 2012, to 'early 2013' and now it's just 'coming soon'. I wish there was another fibre optic provider in this area so I could rid myself of them.

* the only thing super I can see about them is how they've made them super cheap.

Edited by Milo

I've had eleventeen superhubs* now in 15 months and this one has lasted the longest I think (3+ months). It seems to be the most stable as well so maybe VM have finally listened to thousands of customers telling them their hardware and accompanying software was gash.

Unfortunately when you've had as many problems as I've had with VM and had to deal with their appalling customer service, you have absolutely zero confidence in anything they say or do, or their products.

The doubling of my BB speed seems to getting done by Usain Bolt himself, inbetween his other commitments. It's gone from April 2012 to July 2012, to Dec 2012, to 'early 2013' and now it's just 'coming soon'. I wish there was another fibre optic provider in this area so I could rid myself of them.

* the only thing super I can see about them is how they've made them super cheap.

Thing is - I've had the same one for over 18 months.

I also received my free 50mb upgrade to 100mb within 2 months of them announcing it - and it's now, according to them, 120mb.

I think the key here is I'm in an area where 70% have Virgin Media cable services (they wrote to us and told us that as apparently they reduce service costs for certain things when you reach that - or so they said). So we were probably quite high up their list, or so I'd imagine.

I should add that when you consider the penetration they have in this area, that I'm happy with the speeds we get. It's almost 11pm and there'll be a good few people online now I'd imagine, so getting the speed shown below can't be too bad (just tested as you can see):

2246419844.png