944 Turbo S - Project Time

eldavo69

Dave,

Have you slept or seen your family since the car arrived?? How do you get so much done, photograph it and then write it up for us lot in two days??!!

Great work however you are doing it! +++

Well, I've had the car a week now and I had the carpets beforehand so could already start dying them. I did most of the work Sunday afternoon and have done a couple of hours late evening a few times this week.

The updates are generally sequential and I just update them from via phone with Tapatalk when I'm sat waiting at appointments. They're less "update of the day's work" and more "how much time have I got to post a bit more of what's been done already."

Finally, these are pretty straightforward to work on. 8 bolts sees both seats and runners out. 6 for the centre console, etc. Dump valve replacement was a 10-15 minute job for example. Weirdly the HT leads took about an hour though.

Been on the phone to a mate in Scotland and I'm another £160 lighter.

He's sending me a load of trim bits and bobs and then when he' down in November he's bringing me a mint set of carpets, rear quarter cards, headlining and trims.

The dyed carpets still have a reddish/purple tinge to them and I want some carpet making up to go in place of the rear seats so it needs to match in.

I'll finish off the passenger side for now and then it's no real drama to swap over in a months time.

However, wheels.

Yum yum:

[ATTACH]47145[/ATTACH]

post-15559-137914488666_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm glad I'm getting a set of proper black carpets as these definitely don't look right in bright light. They are blacker than they appear but the iPhone flash makes them look even more brown.

Mounted the seat runners a couple of holes further back than they originally were:

[ATTACH]47155[/ATTACH]

Driver's seat fitted as low as it'll go so I've got a bit more headroom now for a helmet and to have the headliner fitted in place. Passenger side carpet in too, not glued in this time just clipped in as it'll be coming out again within a month. Now to sort out the snake's nest of wires:

eruvu8eq.jpg

My A5 2mm carbon fibre panel arrive within 24 hours, ordered from CarbonMods via eBay, £6 delivered - bargain. Cut it in half, trimmed it down and cut a hole in the middle:

ynube2un.jpg

Fitted my boost gauge:

tyjuhume.jpg

And couldn't put off replacing the centre console any longer. Two of the redundant switches have been removed from the array and added to the wiring bundle. A couple of switch blanking plates are in the post to me along with a cubby hole to go in the gap under the boost gauge panel:

2a5unyhy.jpg

There's loads of room behind there despite how it appears:

urudugu4.jpg

Ready to rumble (theoretically at least):

ezuju3yp.jpg

Decided I'd tackle the passenger side seat refitting, last bits of carpet trim (there's some alarm wiring to tidy up behind it) and sorting the door winder mechanism/replacing the plexiglass with glass all in one go when I've turned the car around in the garage so I'm not working up against a wall.

In the meantime I cleaned the driver's side front wing, clay barred an enormous amount of crap off it, gave it a machine polish and treated it to a coat of the good stuff:

ujy2uryj.jpg

The reason I started with the driver's wing? So I could replace this love it or hate it classic slice of 80s excess:

ry4u9eje.jpg

So, rest of the car to "detail" and the passenger side works to do next plus fit the new lightweight washer system I picked up from Porsche today.

post-15559-1379144887_thumb.jpg

Edited by eldavo69

Decisions decisions!

Narrowed my door card choices down to 2, both bare bones race cards from EMC in Birmingham.

The carbon ones are £290 + VAT (£348) and the GRP ones are £190 + VAT (£228) per pair.

Carbon ones are fitted to the blue cars, I would go for the RS style red door pull as in the 1st picture but with the manual window winder shown in the 3rd picture.

White car has the GRP version painted gloss black.

(To really give myself something to think on I could also replace the electric windows and mirrors to end up with something that looked identical to the first picture)

Any ideas?

post-15559-137914488707_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488709_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488713_thumb.jpg

Driver's side fully machine polished now. Paintwork has come up really nicely considering the unloved state it was in:

rezujusu.jpg

Need to decide whether to put clear or black stone guards back on. Tempted to go clear behind the front wheel and behind the rear wheel and black in front of the rear wheel like this (held on with tape):

[ATTACH]47161[/ATTACH]

Only problem is that that area is quite badly stonechipped already and someone has burnt the paint with a polisher in the past so the black would hide that. Still looks more than passable though:

[ATTACH]47162[/ATTACH]

Black stone guards front and rear of the wheel look a bit much I think:

[ATTACH]47163[/ATTACH]

So options are none, clear, all black, or black in front of the wheel and clear in the other two spots???

post-15559-137914488717_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488722_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488726_thumb.jpg

I think the door pulls look silly. I don't really like the carbon look either, but maybe it's the pictures.

Are you going to remove the Turbo graphic off the front too? I hope so!

Clear stoneguards, front and back. I don't think the car needs anything chavvy on it - and that's what black stoneguards look like to me. It's a classic.

Door cards on my car just visible here, they are vinyl with a bit of foam 3mm, over thin board with RS type plastic handle and a leather door pull, but period for yours would be red nylon...

5unu4enu.jpg

And here, minus the bling fittings is what the card itself looks like...

su2atyry.jpg

Edited by DanG

Yes I realised my timing with regards to Porsches and stickers was a little out.

Turbo decal on the wing stays. I know owners who wouldn't be without them and those who wouldn't entertain them - there is no middle ground. I like it, it's very "of the era."

Carbon doors look better in the first picture than the second due to reflections, etc. They aren't carbon look but genuine vac-formed CF hence the price hike.

RS-style door pulls, again I like them plus they're a damn sight easier to use when wearing gloves.

I get my quarterly bonus (for what it's worth these days) paid this week so we'll see on the CF door cards.

Doesn't seem much point sticking clear stone guards over crappy paint though - am leaning towards patently's suggestion and then going clear once I've had a few bits of paintwork attended to next year.

My '69 Porsche came from factory with three point harnesses and no cage.

The rear parcel shelf is strengthened with plates, which is where the bolts go through.

It was ordered with a 'Sports Function' pack, which gave a different oil tank, no A/C and sports seats. So am guessing it was designed for light track work.

But no cage.