944 Turbo S - Project Time

eldavo69

So . . . this may well be divisive (NNMM look away now)!

Early 944s came with under bonnet heat insulation pads, these got dropped on the later models as there is a phenomenal amount of heat produced with the manifolds on one side of the engine bay and the turbo on the other.

Some people fitted a 924 Turbo bonnet as that had a NACA duct over the exhaust manifold which helped cooling a little but as there was nowhere for that air to really go apart from down the back of the engine it also created lift.

The 944 Turbo (sorry Twbo - who am I trying to kid) has a 3-piece undertray to create a low pressure area at the bottom of the firewall to try and suck that hot air out of the engine bay. There is greater airflow into the engine bay anyway due to the intercooler exhausting into it too. The 968RS model used a big central bonnet vent to exhaust the intercooler air and a couple of small NACA ducts to cool the rest of the engine bay at the expense of increased lift.

Luckily - there is a low pressure area halfway along the bonnet that would be ideal for exhausting hot air from to reduce under bonnet temperatures and pressure.

Between points 10 & 18 on the chart:

8949995B-84D5-44F8-AA26-8AE920D97A4E.jpg

These just so happen to be the areas where the turbo and manifolds sit on either side of the engine bay. Physics and sh1t says that vents in a low pressure area need to be twice the surface area of inlets in a high pressure area - hence these (rather larger than expected) vents turned up from Germany!

53FC8516-7F0A-452C-AD63-0B08EE319DFA.jpg

Vents need to be opened up and bonded in place before the whole lot is painted a fetching shade of silver/gold ;)

I'm not 100% sure on the look at the moment hence they're going into a "spare bonnet" (I know, I know) but they do look quite smart when fitted and painted - plus the quickest 944 Turbo in the world (The Australian Time Attack car with serious aero) has them so they must work!

4FF7E56D-DAD5-4E8B-86F2-87B3BF8A46A2.jpg

With all due respect, yours isn't the fastest 944 turbo in the world and doesn't need them.

They look awful, and for what very little you'll gain it just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Heat soak isn't an issue on track, so long as the intake gets a fresh supply of air, let Porsche worry about the rest.

Edited by Tipex

Funnily enough - I'll disagree with you (although not on the "fastest 944 in the world" point).

I've maxed out what the stock turbo can do - anything else and it's a pure heat pump - it's location in the engine bay isn't ideal either but I'm stuck with that. I've also had to ditch the stock airbox as it was restrictive and compromising my air/fuel ratio under boost.

The benefit to the stock airbox was that it took a cold air feed from the wing but to achieve this it used pretty narrow diameter tubing to get there. My air filter now sits at the front of the engine bay behind the intercooler - I do have a vented badge panel that flows a little outside air to the filter but it's not in a very high pressure area and is increasing under-bonnet pressures. In time I'll fit a MAF system to the car which will allow me to locate the filter next to the cold air feed or possibly in the wing itself.

Heat soak is an issue - I'm operating outside the limits of Porsche's intended operating parameters and accept that. It's not a case of slapping some vents in the bonnet and thinking job done, rather a considered approach of incremental changes to achieve the desired outcome (vented panel for more flow + bonnet vents to reduce temps and pressures + modified intercooler to remove restrictions and combat heat soak = more than the sum of the parts).

I'm not 100% sure on the look at the moment hence they're going into a "spare bonnet" (I know, I know) but they do look quite smart when fitted and painted - plus the quickest 944 Turbo in the world (The Australian Time Attack car with serious aero) has them so they must work!

4FF7E56D-DAD5-4E8B-86F2-87B3BF8A46A2.jpg

Actually it's fastest 'cause us Aussies are better drivers than you northern hemispherical posing pussies...

:bike:

• Like 1

Painted the boost controller Matt Black and mounted it in rather than on a new carbon plate:

39EA8FA5-5230-4EFF-AE0E-4A72DAA831BB.jpg

Also, my strut brace just touched the bonnet and I wasn't sure if this would be an issue with the vented one so I replaced the brace with a different one:

71AC0372-F903-430A-92C6-CAA257C9DE85.jpg

The brace itself was great but the attachment plates on the top of the strut towers had been pressed into a raised shape to clear a mounting hangar for the turbo cooling pump and a heatshield - this meant a tight fit and I wasn't too happy with it.

Problem solved though - had the mounting plate pressed flat with a 20 ton bearing press and trimmed the mounting lug and heatshield down with the angle grinder. Perfect fit now!

43DE1322-B34C-4E5E-84DE-9B6929022B24.jpg

• Like 1

You're wrong to think I'd laugh at the vents.

I like them when they're practical but I also think the 944 suits them.

However, there is now a problem.

The colour doesn't quite work for the car it has become.  Next on your list should be an all-white or all-black respray.  Then it will look fab.+++

White with big F-off Martini stickers or Maritime blue would be what I'd go for if I had a choice.

I could always get it wrapped at some point in the future (no - not around a tree).

My mate was round the other day in his Kalahari Beige 944 and that IS gold, makes mine look pure silver. It's a very odd colour I'll agree - wouldn't have been my first choice but when shiny on a sunny day it's fab!

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-for-sale/911/964-rs-for-sale-577

Edited by eldavo69
  • Like 1

Took the wing mirrors off and dropped them off at the body shop to be painted at the same time as the bonnet as they were showing their age - I've got some paint protection film somewhere in the garage so might wrap the front faces in that when they come back.

Also took the brake calipers off to be sent away for a refurb. The fronts are the M030 option "Medium Blacks" and are the same as fitted to the nigh on 2 tonnes of 928 S4 so on my car they're more than "adequate":

505A68C0-7F61-4E5C-8782-603CD034F6F2.jpg

They're in generally pretty good condition as the previous owner attended to the usual plate lift that curses these calipers - unfortunately he also repainted them with a potato and I've never been happy with the finish:

B3FED748-9624-40D5-95E1-0D000A49FB8B.jpg

The silver dot is a 5p for reference - 13kgs of calipers!!!

8A65A20E-C02E-4385-AB22-9E5237CE3A4D.jpg

They're being stripped, blasted, refinished in gloss red with white lettering and having new seals, bleed nipples and polished pistons - they'll be as good as new. Posting them off tomorrow with a 7-day (ish) turnaround time.

I lurve this colour. I used to know a chap who had a '92 964 RS in Maritime Blue. Absolutely stunning old skool colour. 

(Tipex, you might know this guy- he was a sculptor, if memory serves me correctly, who used to live in East Dean pre-'95)

Edited by JonC

I lurve this colour. I used to know a chap who had a '92 964 RS in Maritime Blue. Absolutely stunning old skool colour. 

(Tipex, you might know this guy- he was a sculptor, if memory serves me correctly, who used to live in East Dean pre-'95)

Doesn't ring a bell and I can't recall seeing a 964 in that colour locally, having said that, there is a house in East Dean that has a millstone from the long since gone windmill in it's front garden, and it's painted that exact colour!

Tis a nice colour BTW.