944 Turbo S - Project Time

eldavo69

If you have harnesses, and no cage, and you roll the car, you can't move, so your head will be the roll cage instead.

Alternatively, if you have a cage, but no harnesses, then if you crash you are much freer to move around and you could hit your head on the cage, which would hurt, a lot.

As I said, never run one without the other.

Running harnesses without a cage is suicidal, never ever run with either a cage or harnesses, only ever use the two together, both or nothing.

You're ok with harnesses but no cage (see most road-spec Caterhams, for example). The problem is with a cage but no harness, unless you like having a roll-bar shaped indentation in your head of course.

You need to make sure the harness is properly attached & doesn't have ridiculously long straps heading back to attachment points light-years behind you, which is a lot easier in most cars if a cage is fitted, but there is no problem I'm aware of with a harness but no cage per se.

Edited by patently

If you have harnesses, and no cage, and you roll the car, you can't move, so your head will be the roll cage instead.

(Crossed posts...)

Sorry, can't agree with that. Whether or not your head becomes the cage (as you put it!) depends on the geometry of the car and the strength of its various bits. If the roof is going to crumple and crush you then you're in trouble if you roll it, full stop. If there is no roof and no rollover protection, ditto. Yes, I agree that if the roof is crushed and you can't move out of the way then you are toast. However, in any crash, you will generally want to be kept restrained - as soon as you start flying around you can meet anything and will be liberally reshaped by whatever you do meet. So your chances in the (rare) "rollover & crush" scenario are slightly worse (i.e. none instead of almost none) whereas your chances in pretty well everything short of that are much improved.

Basically, whereas (harness + cage) is undoubtedly better than (harness + no cage), that doesn't mean that (harness + no cage) is worse than (no harness + no cage).

There is an enormous folder of receipts right back to the original invoice for £42k and the car has been used as a trackday car but with no expense spared. The receipt from last year for £400 at Ninemeister for corner weighting and geometry tells you that!

:grin: congrats on the new project - its going to be brilliant! Intereresting you should mention Neinmeister, was watching this video of the 9M 993 RSR earlier, a thing of beauty +++

lI1PjgCV_c4

I am having a harness bar/roll bar made up soon. It will bolt to 2 of the strengthened seatbelt mounts in the back and the 2 in the C pillar.

Will fulfil roll over protection duties and sits behind the seats so nowt for me to crack my head one.

Polished up the back panel as it had a badge missing and an extra one on the other side instead:

8uty6agy.jpg

Car might have done the 'ring but I haven't so it's off for now. I do intend to replace it but I'll have earnt that one.

Going:

abepu8a2.jpg

Gone (spot the S2B2 stickers, as well as how shiny the paint has come up compared to the previous picture which was post-clay bar but pre-machine polish):

pany5a3y.jpg

Emptied this out of my bag of tricks:

a7una2u2.jpg

Uhhmmmed and ahhhhed about where to put it as the factory position is a little low in my eyes so stuck it a cm and a bit higher up. What a rebel:

[ATTACH]47165[/ATTACH]

Finally, put the rear wheels back on. Michelin have a guide for regrooving the tyres for better wet weather performance on track. "They came like that officer":

[ATTACH]47166[/ATTACH]

post-15559-137914488733_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488737_thumb.jpg

Edited by eldavo69

Got the other seat put back in:

[ATTACH]47175[/ATTACH]

Also got the cubby hole back on and the armrest fitted. Just waiting for a couple of switch blanking plates for the gaps then all done here:

[ATTACH]47176[/ATTACH]

Loads of silicon hose turned up today:

[ATTACH]47177[/ATTACH]

Started to replace the vacuum hard lines and found out why the heater had stopped working - the vacuum connection had come off, so reduced it with some new hose.

New Numberplates turned up too, much smarter:

[ATTACH]47178[/ATTACH]

Pulled her out of the garage to check the heater was working properly and went round the block to make sure the boost gauge was working properly:

[ATTACH]47179[/ATTACH]

Got to the end of the street following an old giffer in a red Fabia and we both turned onto the 2 lane flyover - him in the left lane as me in the right.

Well . . . Until he drifted into my lane causing me to slam on the brakes and swerve out of the way. Lost the back end, slid across the grass and hit a tree side on at about 20mph.

Red skoda carried on with no idea what happened (feckers) and a council van behind me pulled up to help me out. It would have been better on reflection if I had let the skoda hit me but your first reaction is to avoid an accident.

Van towed me out and I was back home 15 mins after setting off. Car is a mess.

Driver's side wing crumpled to hell, ironically it's the "turbo" sticker holding most of the paint together. Driver's door has a bit of a dunch, front bumper is split, bonnet appears ok. Windscreen smashed and covered me in glass and worst of all is a dent in the A-pillar :(

Provided it isn't Cat B due to the A-pillar I'm keeping it regardless. Going to call insurance tomorrow (they'll love me) and go see my body shop guy. Plan is to get some used panels and try to get the insurance to authorise their use rather than Cat C/D all depends on the A-pillar result I suppose.

I'm absolutely fine and in light of what has happened to some this week it's quite sobering. Not going to pretend I didn't have a little cry when I got back to MrsEldavo though.

post-15559-137914488763_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488768_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488772_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488777_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488781_thumb.jpg

Am absolutely fine, a couple of tiny cuts on my hand from the windscreen shattering.

The seats and harnesses kept me put so I didn't bang my head on anything.

Impact was very low speed but damage is pretty messy on the front corner. Car drove back absolutely fine so bar the A-pillar it's just cosmetic and looks worse than it is (hopefully).

Also, don't be disheartened.

These projects are fun some of the time and a menace the rest of the time sent by the Devil himself to simply piss us off.

Perhaps it's a sign that a 944 is not what your after and that in reality you want a rear engined 911.....

(tongue firmly in cheek!)

+++

Oh no! That is awful, especially after all the work you've put in. I do hope you can get it sorted. Did you get the old guy's number?

Lucky you had the turbo sticker and the harnesses :uhoh:

Seriously, though, I know how you feel having had two nasties in close succession this year. ::sympathy:: You're ok, that's what matters. Keep telling yourself that.

The council guys got half a reg plate so I guess that's no help. Even so, he had no idea what he was doing at all - only a matter of time before he injures himself or another!

Yes, the sticker and harnesses to the rescue ;)

I'll go out to the garage and take some pics when I can stomach it :(

Sorry to hear that, my saga with the Subaru is still ongoing, so I know how you feel, although it sounds like you'll have two cars written off while i'm still waiting for a fecking assessor to even look at mine!

Damage to the A pillar is almost always an instant write off as it's a major structural component.

As you say, shame you didn't hit the Skoda instead, as you can imagine the insurers thinking you're making it all up, hopefully the council guys will back you up though.

Keep an eye out for the Skoda incase you can get the whole reg!

Awwww shite Dave. I don't know what to say, gutted for you.

I'd still report what information you have about the Skoda. Or look out for it as I'd imagine he's got to be local if he was coming out of the route you were?

It means little right now after all the effort you've put in, I know - but you're safe and well. That's what matters.

Just got back from seeing my body shop guy - he used to work at the Porsche Approved body shop up here and set up on his own. When they went under he bought loads of their equipment in the liquidation sale.

His advice was not to involve the insurance company as they will write it off and it may be Cat B due to the pillar damage. There is a weld-in repair pillar for the 944 and as luck would have it he not only has some but has the Porsche Approved state-of-the-art welder to put it in with.

Just called the guy round the corner who bought my old car to see what parts he has in. He can supply me with a wing, headlight cover, bumper if I need it (body shop guy reckons from the pics it's just bent and will fix up) along with a windscreen and trims. Waiting on the door to see how it lines up with the wing back on.

Tax is up at the end of the month so will SORN it, put it on axle stands and project will continue - albeit more slowly now and with harsher budgetary constraints!

[ATTACH]47181[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47182[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47183[/ATTACH]

post-15559-13791448879_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488794_thumb.jpg

post-15559-137914488799_thumb.jpg