944 Turbo S - Project Time

eldavo69

His advice was not to involve the insurance company as they will write it off and it may be Cat B due to the pillar damage.

If he's said that, repair it, make it nice and tidy - then sell it.

You don't want to be driving around in something what would have been a Cat B. It will, in all likelihood, but structurally weakened in some way or form and I really don't think it's worth the risk of your life if you had a really bad accident.

I know that would be a hard thing to do bearing in mind the sheer scale of the effort you've expended - but it ain't worth the danger in my opinion.+++

The dent is only slight, the door still opens and closes fine and the interior trim is where it should be.

He's said it may be just the skin that needs replacing and not the whole pillar. He'll need a better look first.

The fact that there is a Porsche repair panel is a positive - they tend not to mess about where structural safety is concerned.

Will see what happens and take it from there. Maybe I could get Tipex to fit me a cage too :)

If he's said that, repair it, make it nice and tidy - then sell it.

You don't want to be driving around in something what would have been a Cat B. It will, in all likelihood, but structurally weakened in some way or form and I really don't think it's worth the risk of your life if you had a really bad accident.

So palm it off on someone else so they can risk their life? :eek:

If it were genuinely unsafe then I'd let it be written off and part it out, I wouldn't knowingly pass on a potentially unsafe car.

I'll get everything photographed and documented along the way so if I ever do sell it in the future the next owner is fully informed.

The plan is to make it a keeper though, a keeper with a windscreen!

My Polo that got written off after half the back end was bent out of shape is back on the road somewhere. So writing it off still won't prevent it from being back on the road.

Sticking a cage in it will make it better and safer than before. Hope this hasn't dented your enthusiasm (or budget) too much +++

It depends on the insurance assessor and his level of knowledge specific to these cars.

If he thinks "A pillar dint = Cat B" I'm screwed. If he has a bit more about him and understands its repairable then I'm ok but probably still left looking at a Cat C/D unless they accept me using donor parts and getting my guy to do the work far cheaper.

At the end of the day I knew I was becoming a custodian of a rare car - there are 48 RHD Turbo S cars left so if it costs me a bit of cash to keep it alive then so be it.

At the end of the day I knew I was becoming a custodian of a rare car - there are 48 RHD Turbo S cars left so if it costs me a bit of cash to keep it alive then so be it.

[annual serious post] Good for you. It's a metal box ultimately though so if the worst comes to the worst, take comfort in the fact you're sitting in your home, relatively unscathed, writing that +++ [/annual serious post]

And to think, I was going to let you scare the shite out of me again. Won't forget sitting in the cabin of the other one watching the world flash by at 100mph+, looking at all the pointy, sharp and metallic bits of the interior within stabbing distance of me.

Me? Half pissed? I'm disappointed in myself. Can't rememeber ranting about pikeys but it's sounds plausible.

Onwards and upwards with the car. Nowt you can do to change what happened, so deep breathe and start again unfortunately. A few £ and a few [a lot of!] hours and it'll be as good as second hand again :grin:

Well, progress has been a little slow due to a lack of motivation (funny that) but I have been getting somewhere.

Started removing damaged panels (and couldn't help doing a bit of degreasing and cleaning up as I went along).

Gavin from Autoglass has now been replaced in the adverts by Max, who just so happens to be a friend's dad so he's coming round next week (hopefully) one night to take the smashed windscreen out for me.

Have heard back from my bodyshop guy with the following email:

"David

Heard back from the lad who would be doing the repairs, he quoted me £400+materials for repair work

Panel work £400.00

fit supplied a piller

fit new align wing

repair/replace door depending on damage

repair bumper if possible

repair roof

repair front panel

Paint work £500-600.00

repaint roof

repaint n/s door

repaint n/s quarter ( depending if new door or not )

paint inside of supplied door (if needing new door )

front bumper

headlight panel

piller trim

Materials

£100-£200.00

So price all in including collection would be between £1000-1200 . and thats not adding any price onto repair work as i normally would

feel free to get other quotes, and let me know if you want to go ahead. thanks"

Pretty happy with that TBH so including the cost of parts will be circa £1500 or less. When it's done and dusted I'll have a special Turbo decal application ceremony just for MrMe.

Shark90 was up last night, walked in the garage and said "it looks absolutely fine . . . . from this side!"

No doubt when I get the panels off there'll be other little bits of trim that need fixing/replacing but such is the way.

What was it worth when you purchased it?

I'm sure the monetary side of it isn't particularly relevant, but is it really going to be viable fixing it? it's not like it's a labour of love like your red one, you've not had it long.

Would you be better of just buying another one?

There are 48 RHD Turbo S cars left in the world, the last 2 original cars sold to Australia for £13k and £19,500.

With the interior replaced and given an "Eldavo" tidy up I'll get a valuation from the Porsche Club of double what I paid for it easily.

Purchase price plus say £2k takes me to £6k. £5.5k gets you the cheapest Turbo S in the country and it's in need of about £3ks worth of work (sills, suspension, belts, HG).

Edited by eldavo69