944 Turbo S - Project Time

eldavo69

Woohoo!

Managed to remove the wing without disturbing the ABS pump, what a faff those last 3 bolts were. Easy to remove but completely hidden in underseal and no room to get in and chip it away.

But finally off:

ju5upy5a.jpg

Also had the windscreen removed and a replacement supplied loose. Unfortunately they've supplied an early recessed screen not the later flush fitting one I need so this is being swapped next week. Left loose as the bodyshop needs it to align the new pillar:

ure4yha2.jpg

Hoovered most of the glass up and removed the centre console (again). It needs to come out to remove the dashboard which in turn needs to come out to access the pillar:

ge9yhuty.jpg

And started removing all the dash trim, switches, climate control unit, etc to get to the dashboard. I'll spray all the trim bits gloss black to match the gear surround trim as they've gone a faded browny colour:

ahehuhe2.jpg

Probably all I'll get done for this week, just waiting on a wing really.

The problem is that the more I get bits and bobs together, the more other bits and bobs I get offered.

I.e. - emailed someone on the PCGB forum who was splitting a Turbo for some parts. He emailed back with the availability and then offered me some fibreglass race wings, a load of interior trim bits and go-faster engine goodies.

I need to be budgetarily constrained and get the bodywork done before (too many) other shiny go-faster bits.

• 2 weeks later...

So a bit more progress achieved this weekend:

Removed the instrument cluster and central vents/trim pieces:

haby4ydu.jpg

Then removed the glovebox and all the temperature sensor hoses, etc. too. I also removed the glovebox lid just after this picture was taken:

y2userev.jpg

A shot of the whole dashboard within everything removed:

se5ugypa.jpg

Damn thing wouldn't clear the steering column though, a quick re-read of the instructions and I'd forgotten to remove the control unit for the indicator stalks. With that done, the dash pulled away and I had to unfasten the side vent blower tubes at the same time:

qe5ememe.jpg

I'll sort out the alarm wiring a bit better while the dash is out (bottom left of picture). But the rest of the wiring and ventilation system looks more complicated than it actually is.

Investigation of the A-pillar reveals it's pretty good with just the trim bits bent so it maybe possible to jig back into place rather than replace, will wait and see. Anyway, whatever the bodyshop guys want to do, it's accessible now at least.

Removed the driver's door mirror too and a couple of mounting lugs have been snapped off the base so will probably just replace it and get it painted with everything else. It has dented the door a little where it has been pressed against it so this area's getting painted anyway.

I was told I had to get the Xmas decorations out of the garage.

Unfortunately they live on the boarded out bit of the garage rafters above the car :(

Had to put the wheels back on, drop it off axle stands and find the steering wheel and keys, lol.

However, it started up fine and I left it idling on the drive for a bit. However, when I started it the immobiliser switched from valet mode to normal mode so when I turned the car off and removed the keys it locked itself 30 seconds later. Rather than use the fob I just leant through the windscreen aperture to open the door and set the alarm off!

Then managed to switch the alarm off and put it back into valet mode but the immobiliser had tripped and cut the fuel pump. It was dark and the last thing I felt like doing was searching through the mass of wiring for the switch to reset it. Luckily my neighbour chose that moment to get home so we pushed it back into the garage.

Should be going into the bodyshop in the next week or two so I'll have to make that reset switch accessible!

zu3e5ame.jpg

a2uma8u9.jpg

It was a genuine question, as I'm also guilty of spending more than I should on ageing cars.

I know I should chuck the MX5 on eBay and buy a bodily better example - but I'll end up chucking money at a bodyshop to do the rusty bits. Already been down that road with the Alfa 75... then undid some of that by crashing it at Llandow. Again, I should have got rid and bought a nicer example 5 years ago.