Urgent- diesel with petrol mix

Calm Chris

Swmbo has just chucked 8 litres of petrol in the BMW 120d.

How fecked is she? :grin:

Is it a stop, don't turn on engine and get road side tank purge? Or could she top up brim the tank and get away with a 9+42 petrol diesel mix?

If you've added less than 10% petrol (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) – Top up with diesel and run normally unless the manufacturer has advised otherwise.

If your car is still within its warranty period you should first seek advice from the manufacturer as their guidelines may be different.

Thats the AA site.

She's getting it emptied as and when they phone her back, better safe than sorry. Fuel pump would be the immediate issue I think.

Shall we play guess the cost?:roflmao:

Ill go with an AA agent firm at £140 + disposal cost of £20 (9 ltr petrol with about the same of dev. So just £196....

Edited by Chri5

The breakdown company will log it on the 'miss-fueled' car list, which manufacturers access, so you could have potential warranty problems in the future.

My advice would have been to get an independent garage to come and drain the tank for you, although personally I would have brimmed it with diesel, chucked some injector cleaner in and carried on until next fill up, at which point i'd have stuck a new fuel filter in.

The police vehicles that my wife drives shout at you once you open the flap (oo-er!) "diesel not petrol."

The amount of cars I see being emptied at filling stations is ridiculous.

Is it right that you can't get a diesel nozzle in a petrol? If so, they should reverse it as it would save a lot of people a lot of money.

I managed to do this a few years ago in Mrs Diesels company Passat (ironically on the way home from a TSN meet). Put 5 litres of petrol in before I realised. Filled the remaining 65 litres with diesel. Stopped off at halfords on the way home and bought some diesel additive and added this mainly for its lubricating properties. For the next week I kept adding diesel after every journey. And the car ran superbly for the next 50000 miles. Obviously this was a much lower ratio than you are talking about Chris, and it was a PD rather than a common rail engine.

Farmers have been known to put a splash of petrol in their diesel tanks to make them easier to start in winter when its zero or below and diesel begins to thicken. However running diesel injectors on petrol will kill them - diesel is a lubricant whereas petrol is not.....

Old diesel engines can tolerate it, my mechanic keeps all the fuel he drains and sticks it in his recovery truck, smokes like a bastard but runs fine!

Truckers used to add a splash of petrol to stop diesel jellying at extremely low temperatures, and in fact, lighting a fire under the engine used to be fairly common too, but modern diesel doesn't turn to jelly any more thanks to the additives they put in it.

I put a tank full of super unleaded in my then week old Vivaro diesel van. Didn't realise and drove it 3 miles before it conked out. Then I realised what I'd done! The AA/RAC wouldn't cover me for the call out and said I'd have to pay. So I got a local garage to tow me in a drain it. Refilled with diesel and some 90000 miles later still going strong.

You can't put a petrol nozzle into our 123d, I tried that just days before finding you can on the insignia!

I found the same with our 123d although by pure chance. Stuck in the middle of Norfolk running on fumes I managed to find the only filling station in the UK that had not changed the diesel nozzles to the larger diameter and therefore the misfuelling device in the filler pipe would not release.

After 15 minutes on the phone to the dealer there was an override or maybe an adaptor supplied with the car, although not sure which thinking back as it was a few years ago.

I assumed most modern diesels had this misfuelling feature, is this not the case? Will check the Q5 when I next fill up.

Good to hear it's sorted, Chri5, even if it did cost a bit.

I thought the security thing was just the size of the nozzle vs the hole & only stopped you putting diesel into a petrol because back when they designed it, diesel was rare so they reckoned anyone with a diesel car knew they were the odd one out. Is there another security thing that I don't know about?

It is probably a simple flap that is activated by having a switch on either side of the filler neck, just need a nozzle big enough to press both of them to open the flap?

So, diesel nozzle too big for petrol filler neck and the petrol nozzle too small to touch both sides of the filler neck on the diesel car and release the flap?