New motor: 640d Gran Coupe

Booster

Collected the new car this morning!

Top service from AliAudi (now actually AliBMW!) once again. Even arranged a lift from Leicester to Solihull for me this morning.

First thoughts:

It looks nothing short of menacing from the front and I like how they have given it a shark nose like the original 6 Series coupe from the 1970s.

One thing you can't get away from is the size of it. It is bloody massive! Parking it is helped a lot by Surround View and the reversing camera but there are some multi-stories that I won't be taking it in!

It has gadgets galore: The ability to set the a/c from your iphone so the car is cool when you get into it in the summer is a real bonus that I didn't know about until today.

I've done 140 miles so far today and it is showing 39mpg. That is even after me lighting up the rear wheels in first, second and third!! The torque is just incredible!! The noise from the engine sounds more V8 than flat six sooty!!

For such a large car it is incredibly agile: You can point it where you want to go and it just goes. There is none of the wallowiness that you get in an Audi.

HUD is a revelation!! Even after just one morning with it I don't think I could have a car without it!

Couple of things I will need to get used to after having Audis for so long:

The wing mirrors seem tiny compared to the "bat ears" that Audi put on their cars.

The manual shift for up and down gears on the gearstick is the other way round to Audi's. Think I will just stick to the paddles if I need to manual change.

iDrive: Quite a lot of menus to get my head around....!

Couple of quick pics to follow which I will upload via tapatalk in a minute.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Idrive- on older cars holding it in one direction for a few seconds takes you back to the matching main menu selection (terribly worded).

So, if you are in sat nav and you press to left for a few seconds it will take you to what is off the main menu and left. That, is a reasonably useful shortcut (more so for going back to the music menu).

Does your HUD have revs? That used to be reserved for the M5.

Idrive- on older cars holding it in one direction for a few seconds takes you back to the matching main menu selection (terribly worded).

So, if you are in sat nav and you press to left for a few seconds it will take you to what is off the main menu and left. That, is a reasonably useful shortcut (more so for going back to the music menu).

Does your HUD have revs? That used to be reserved for the M5.

Top tip re the idrive, cheers. I will give it a try.

So far, HUD has just shown my speed and nav instructions but there is a menu for what info you want displayed on all systems so I will have a play about with it and let you know. +++

hubba hubba Booster, looks fabulous +++ I've always had a wanting for the 6-series, in particular the convertible, ya lucky buggar :)

Thankyou muchly+++

Just been out for a quick blat and I now realise that you don't actually have to press any buttons to do anything: Everything is controlled by voice. Full navigation inputs, the a/c, calls to anyone from my phone contacts, media the Jewson lot!!!

Amazing!

Still got to get my head round Connected Drive. Enough new stuff for today!!

Like that a lot, nice car.

With regards to the + & - on the gearstick being the other way around, I think what you mean is they are the 'right' way around, I've never understood why VAG have them the wrong way around, it's totally counter intuitive to push the stick away from you to change up a gear.

Lovely motor very impressive and I'm glad the feel and the handling are living up to your expectations. +++

I was going to suggest the use of the voice to get to features, things like perspective takes the map to that very view, radio station 3 will so the same. There is a PDF around with them all in if they haven't provided them all in the manual.