The monkey did it!

Woppum

That link demonstrates all that is wrong with PH these days.

Harris is almost Clarkson-esque comical in his blinkered opinions and makes my bias towards Italian tat look vaguely normal in comparison with his Porsche / BMW fetish.

Not to mention every hen-pecked middle aged nobody having to post an opinion that might get his attention. (I haven't read much beyond the original article, but I suspect it's 25 pages of 'I agree' or 'this is what I think... what do you reckon, Chris?')

For what it's worth... I really like MkIV Golfs. They pretty much re-defined what we should expect from a mid-sized hatch in terms of refinement, quality, and generally having an air of being worth a whole lot more than the price tag.

Harris is almost Clarkson-esque comical in his blinkered opinions and makes my bias towards Italian tat look vaguely normal in comparison with his Porsche / BMW fetish.

He has a preference, clearly, but as you acknowledge, we all do. He does also say:

a truism we all celebrate on PH - by all means listen to what people say, but making your own mind up is far more important.

The question to ask us why does he have that preference? I, for example, have a distinct Porsche preference, but that's because when I had a lump of cash burning a hole in my pocket I went and tried them all. Reluctantly, I tried a Porsche, mainly through chance. Although I still had a "red braces" distaste of them, I had to admit it was clearly the best of the lot that I'd tried.

Others may reach a different view, and the advice I usually give is "just drive them all and buy the one you like the best".

Not to mention every hen-pecked middle aged nobody having to post an opinion that might get his attention. (I haven't read much beyond the original article, but I suspect it's 25 pages of 'I agree' or 'this is what I think... what do you reckon, Chris?')

I'll agree with that wholeheartedly. Can't ever bring myself to read a PH thread.

I don't see the problem with the article?

Personally, I really really like the R32, but his observations about sticking a heavy v6 lump in a small hatchback are absolutely correct, it's why the Alfa 147 GTA was so dynamically flawed too, but that doesn't mean it's not a good car, in fact I really like the GTA too.

IMO, the mk3 and 4 Golfs were absolutely dire, in all guises except the mk4 R32, just because it isn't the pinnacle of handling finesse doesn't mean it's other strengths don't make up for it.

Ultimately, it did it's job though, it was a halo car, something boys and young men stuck posters of on their walls, while everyone went out and bought a crappy mk4 GTi because they couldn't afford the 'real thing'.

.:R32 rocks ;) and I don't agree with the review, the MK4 was flawed but not to that extent he makes out :cool:

EVO loved the MK4 R32 and their magazines reviews / shoot-outs confirmed this around the 2002-2003 era.

I've just bought a new addition to my R32 collection....

8174966718_1b40e1e01d.jpg

DSCF2128.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

8174965738_3b0c761524.jpg

DSCF2125.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

8174933779_dc02b2e76b.jpg

DSCF2127.jpg by Rizvan Hussain, on Flickr

Golf .:R32 Model - a set on Flickr

Riz :)

Harris talks a lot of sense, with the exception of "But would you have been better off with a GTI?" - holy crap, is the guy insane? All Mk4 GTIs were slow, lardy and handled like shiit. It's why I bought a Mk4 R32.

I did, however, spend a small fortune on it getting it to go faster and to handle better. Fortunately I got over 60% back of what I spent on it when I sold all the mods before I got rid of it.

I took a low mileage Mk4 R32 out for a spin last month after I got chatting to someone who has one as a keeper. It's not that special of a car and it's not that quick, but current standards - but it's a 10 year old car.

Great fun while they were out and they had a massive following.

Not sure I'd have another one though.

Harris talks a lot of sense, with the exception of "But would you have been better off with a GTI?" - holy crap, is the guy insane? All Mk4 GTIs were slow, lardy and handled like shiit. It's why I bought a Mk4 R32.

I did, however, spend a small fortune on it getting it to go faster and to handle better. Fortunately I got over 60% back of what I spent on it when I sold all the mods before I got rid of it.

I took a low mileage Mk4 R32 out for a spin last month after I got chatting to someone who has one as a keeper. It's not that special of a car and it's not that quick, but current standards - but it's a 10 year old car.

Great fun while they were out and they had a massive following.

Not sure I'd have another one though.

Exactly, spot on matey. A great car in its day, there simply was no competition back then. The Alfa was shite, the fekus rs was horrible inside. The mk4 r32 took the trophy by a long way. Wonder what I'd think of It today?

• 9 years later...