M3 vs Liverpool

Woppum

I took the m3 to Liverpool with me today, a blast of over 400 miles.

What a lovely car, I don't think I've spent enough time with it over the last yr to really appreciate it. The cabin although plain is so very ergonomic, everything is in the right place - so accessible. Using the knob to change station or amend the sat nav, even while motoring is so easy. They have mastered this!

The seats are more comfortable than anything else I have been in. So much Cush for a performance car. My arse is in the best shape of its life (lay off anders! ;) ).

Fit and Finnish is top class, there is a bit too much plastic for my liking, but at least it's good quality and minimal.

The performance is simply stunning, too much for the road n most cases. The car is much faster than the Csl, it's the torque, just instant and very addictive. Trouble is with double clutch really it's only good for auto motoring. I set it to the fastest shifting setting, which holds the lower gears for longer so you are always in the power band. Not much will get past this car. I'd love to see how a c63 compares.

Handling and feel. Hmmmnnn. So many journals have referred to the m3 as scalpel handing. Really? It's no boat but its a big beast. It holds the road well but you feel the weight. The car does not feel like a sports car at all. It feels like a big bmw with an oversized engine. A German Muscle car. The e46 m3 managed to create both a sports car and a mile munched. I fear bmw's most sporty model is not so sporty any more. It's a shame this point, the next car will be even more of a mile muncher, with turbos, more torque which will suit its slush box (probably only option) perfectly.

For this reason I can appreciate the m3, but I can't love it. Not like I loved the Csl and do the rs. On my long journey I started thinking maybe I should swap it for a mint Csl? Then I started realising why I bought it, to much miles while having some fun. A Csl would be no replacement, it's too much the other way, I have the Porsche for that. Still, although a great mile muncher with a storming engine - I just wish it was a bit smaller and lighter and a bit more fun. A great car which I appreciate, but not love . :(

Nice little review. It's the same with most cars isn't it they get bigger and heavier and the lose their edge.

The 1 series is the same size as the original 3 series was, I bet when they refresh the coupe and add some M spice to the mix it will be the perfect e46 replacement if they get the styling right as well mind. It's also a shame that the Eco bit is becoming so strong but the again if the concentrated on getting rid of the weight and didn't put such a large engine in to get it moving again it would equal the better car.

BMW are due to do large scale volume production of carbon composite panels apparently maybe that is when they can create the perfect M car again and meet all of the Eco and safety regs.

Maybe A 1M is the compromise you are looking for?

Nah mate. I tried it and preferred the m3.

this is not slagging off the m3 at all btw, I still think its e best of the current bunch.

its just either cars are going to big and serious, or I'm now old enough to prefer previous gen cars.

• 3 weeks later...

.Yesterday I went to Bedford. I went in the Porsche but knew there was little chance they would let me on with noise so got a mate to bring the m3 as backup. It turned out I was right, I lasted a limp wristed lap in the Porsche before I was kicked off for noise. Bit of an arse as 3 mk1 997rs's seemed to be fine. The 3.8 must be a fair bit louder.

Anyway the bmw held up very well. Only a v10 r8 and a gtr made mince meat of me. What was very surprising was a 996tt could not gain on me on the straight to 130 odd.

it is a wollowey beast though. Bit on understeer intitally, massive roll (had to force myself to no fall out the window), then a tweak to the throttle for some some lovely tank slapping Tom foolery. I'm no god but very easy to control on the limit.

the gear change w also a pleasant surprise, the dsg held up all morning without a single misfire. I'm starting to see the point of double clutches.

no matter how well it held up though it felt unnatural to keep it on track. It is not the m3's home. The brakes would only last a few laps at a time, the tyres felt like they were taking a beating and I didn't want to fall out the window so I left mid day.

What a great car though, it really held up well, but gt3 it's not. It's amazing the difference when you get the cars on track. One gets better the faster you go, the other sort of turns to fondoo.

tell you what though, my mate took the m3 home, I took the gt3. For 60 odd miles through motorways, traffic and rain I wished I was in the bmw. I'm really starting to like that car.

Edited by Woppum