Tesla Model S

Mort

Looks like a fascinating car. Telegraph article here.

Tesla-2_2400142c.jpg

Tesla-4_2400144c.jpg

Saw a tv program about the boss of Tesla (Elon Musk) recently. Made a packet from selling Paypal to EBay and nearly lost the lot on the first Tesla Roadster and his other company SpaceX. Now he's rebounded with this car which looks like a leap forward in design and technology and SpaceX is now serious competeition for ESA Ariane rockets

That's exciting. 250+ mile range is beginning to get serious - my 330Ci didn't go much further than that on a tank (although it was quicker to fill up). The "skateboard" concept looks good, too, beginning to solve the handling problems involved in stuffing the car with batteries.

Shame it looks a bit bland?

It's astonishing how compact the chassis is, the stats are amzing for it as well. The 265 mile range is definitely getting there for long journeys (if it's realistic), I'm thinking of some of the journeys I do reasonably regularly and reckon for me 400 miles would probably be the point that you really couldn't argue with range any more, when they get the price down I fear these could start to become a no brainer.

With the platform I bet you could get some really great handling spacious 4 seater sports cars as well.

It's astonishing how compact the chassis is, the stats are amzing for it as well. The 265 mile range is definitely getting there for long journeys (if it's realistic), I'm thinking of some of the journeys I do reasonably regularly and reckon for me 400 miles would probably be the point that you really couldn't argue with range any more, when they get the price down I fear these could start to become a no brainer.

I think when the price comes down and they become more popular, is when the real environmental concerns of batteries will come to the publics' attention.

I would assume that they're doing something quite impressive with the battery tech anyway to see the kind of improvements they're getting in range. Hopefully longevity and recyclability [sp?] would be included in that to stop all the strip mining being carried out to produce the batteries.

What ever happened to the carbon nano tube batteries, i'm sure I read something about upcoming tech along those lines a number of years ago. Hopefully something like that which is less intrusive on the environment will come to the fore.

I liked the bit about servicing being done on your driveway. What kind of servicing will they need, a NICEIC certificate, PAT test? With possible savings on regular serviceable parts could that be enough to overcome the battery replacement cost every ~8 years?

Will we get to a point when an electric car is as much looked down on from a performance motorist only as much as a diesel powered one is now?

Its still a short range car. Would it do 256 miles at fast road speed with 4 adults and luggage....? I doubt that - Its a town car/short journey car only. The challenge is to get 8 hours of driving fully loaded with an over night charge.... then it will be a realistic replacement.