old xp spa laptop wireless problem

Lussac

I've dug out an old laptop that I'm trying to get back to work and I want to set up a temporary wireless connection to a wireless network that has no WEP/WPA key (i.e. the security on that particular router is disabled). It seems that XP requires either a WEP or WPA key in order to set up the wireless connection but there isn't one, is there any way around this? In the Create Network Connection "Create a name for your wireless network" the only choices are "Automatically assign a network key" or Manually assign a network key" neither of which is suitable! In the available networks screen it shows the SSID but says it's WPA secured and needs a key but that particular router has security disabled (I checked this with a smartphone and it connected without a problem). Of course I might be missing something obvious here as I've moved over to using a macbook and haven't touched windows for a long time

Have you used this laptop with this router in WEP mode before? Try deleting the saved network and starting again

Click on the Start Menu and go to Control Panel > Network Connections

Right click on your wireless adapter and select Properties

Click on the Wireless Networks tab.

Click on each wireless network and click the Remove button.

restart and rescan.

Hi Andy, No, it's not been on this router before, well it has but the SSID was different back then. I tried the remove option but the re-scan just comes back with the same "secured" option. I've tried cleaning out the registry and doing NETSH and IPCONFIG, can't understand why it thinks the router is secured. Blooming annoying but I think I'll have to do what I need with a wired connection which works fine, I hate unresolved issues like this though. I wanted to find out if the laptop could be used with Windows 8, it's quite old and has a max memory of 2gb (It's a Sony Vaio VGN-FS515H).