Quick Tyre Question

DanG

Anyone got any good recommendations for tyre fitters, mobile or fixed?

I need 4 245/40/R18 Dunlop SP Sports.

Driving back last night showed up how slidey the rear end was, which whilst fun, is not the idea of a Quattro...

Quick inspection today shows that whilst plenty of 'legal life' left, the rears have three bands of slickness....

Anyone got any good recommendations for tyre fitters, mobile or fixed?

I need 4 245/40/R18 Dunlop SP Sports.

Driving back last night showed up how slidey the rear end was, which whilst fun, is not the idea of a Quattro...

Quick inspection today shows that whilst plenty of 'legal life' left, the rears have three bands of slickness....

Why Dunlops Dan? My S4 came on Dunlops and I didn't get on with them, very wooden, very little feel, no confidence when pushing on, no grip! I ended up ditching them early for a set of Goodyear Asymmetric 2s, the difference was night and day!! The best of the Dunlops was still about 4mm, and likewise I found the rears wore faster than the fronts. Cheaper too!

Edited by Ian_C

No real reason Ian, just that's what is on there at the moment, and they have lasted pretty well.

Currently about 4-5mm left after 26,000 miles, so pretty impressed. It's worth adding I do motorway miles rather than twisty stuff, mostly...

Far better than the Pirelli Cinturato rubbish that came new with the car. I will say again that I had two tyres delaminate (tread peel off) across a period of 6 months and am still exchanging legal letters with Pirelli who refuse to acknowledge there was a problem..

Conti's on my older car lasted 9,000 miles...

No real reason Ian, just that's what is on there at the moment, and they have lasted pretty well.

Currently about 4-5mm left after 26,000 miles, so pretty impressed. It's worth adding I do motorway miles rather than twisty stuff, mostly...

Far better than the Pirelli Cinturato rubbish that came new with the car. I will say again that I had two tyres delaminate (tread peel off) across a period of 6 months and am still exchanging legal letters with Pirelli who refuse to acknowledge there was a problem..

Conti's on my older car lasted 9,000 miles...

The mileage they do is quite frankly amazing. I couldn't wear the damn things out with the tiny mileage I'm doing! However they are so hard and lifeless to achieve this longevity. Obviously the 4.2 S4 has a hard ride, especially the estates and cabs, but the Dunlops were very pressure sensitive, and rock hard at the quoted 39 / 40 psi. The left rear was wearing fastest - maybe MK roundabout antics?! Similarly to yourself Dan, sliding out of a 90 degree right hand T junction last winter (and kerbing the left rear) was the persuasion I needed. I ordered four Goodyears that day from Camskill, got them fitted asap, turned the S4 into the car I always wanted, the grip is astonishing for such a barge!

would definitely recommend

So did I, until the manager of one of their centres removed my 330Ci's wheel by the interesting new method of a hefty kick, rather than the plain old boring method of just taking it off with your hands. If you also raise the car nice & high before doing so, you get a lovely sonorous ring as the alloy wheel bounces off the brake disc...

Niiiiiice! Which centre was that? Where the hell did the alloy end up? The winter wheels on the S4 are insanely tight over the front brakes, and the rears are close too with the disc protectors on the inside, you have to take real care fitting them, I fitted them myself with a trolley jack rather than trusting someone else to do the job

Sometimes the alloy can stick to the hub/disc due to the differing metals welding (kind of) themselves together, and often the best way to remove them is with a hefty kick, as the alternative is to take a big hammer (preferably a wooden or plastic one) to the inside of your wheel.

Not saying this is what happened in your case, and if it was, it should have been explained, and they should have left the wheel nuts on loosely to stop the wheel bouncing off.

Niiiiiice! Which centre was that? Where the hell did the alloy end up?

(i) Heyford Park (ii) On a car being part-exchanged

Not saying this is what happened in your case, and if it was, it should have been explained, and they should have left the wheel nuts on loosely to stop the wheel bouncing off.

It wasn't, the boot was the first option taken. Wheel nuts removed completely, no attempt to explain.

I should have hit the roof, but I was (frankly) so amazed I just stood there, open-mouthed. Trouble was, it was a Black Circles job so I'd already paid - otherwise I'd have been quibbling the bill.

Fed the experience back to BC, no reply. Haven't used them since.

Most tyre places hate Black Circles with a passion, a lot locally won't have anything to do with them any more.

Which means the standard of service you get from those that will is poor, as they get paid a pittance for the job, and don't really give a sh1t, as they see you as a black circles customer, not one of theirs.

I used to use Black Circles (and I buy a lot of tyres), but I've given up on them now and use a friendly local independent place, better service and surprisingly better prices too.

I've given up on them now and use a friendly local independent place, better service and surprisingly better prices too.

Same here, although I've started to use Event tyres since I moved office and don't have a trusty local any more.

I suspected that might be the case, but if the work doesn't pay then don't take it. If you do take it, do it properly. I've worked under similar agency arrangements for reduced rates, but you still look after the client. After all, if that had been a 911 with ceramic brakes, they and BC would both be looking at a four-figure liability.