Irresponsible or the right tool for the job?

Paul

I driven up a river in a convertible Land Rover with a snorkel. I sat on the roof frame with one foot on the dash mounted hand throttle and the other on the top of the steering wheel. The water was about an inch from the top of the steering wheel.

Impressive vehicles.

Nowt irresponsible if the landy is equipped for it, as standard the wading depth is 50-70cm and thats before you install a raised air intake and wading blanket. As for the electrics there aren't many on a Land Rover and what there are get soaked every time it rains. If you want to be hardcore you relocate them inside a Tupperware box above the rear view mirror.

It would have been irresponsible if it was fast flowing water such over a flooded ford, but he was driving a flood road so not much risk of undulations etc.

Saw this on BBC yesterday, absolutely superb, great advertising for Land Rover, and in my eyes most definitely a case of the right tool for the job AND knowing the road.

The new Range Rover is something like 900 mm [wading depth] with its clever air intake system between the traditional flat top bonnet and the wings.

Edited by Ian_C

Diesel wouldn't have too many electrics would it? Fuel pump in the tank, common rail?
The electrics on a Defender are in a tub underneath the driver's seat, battery etc is underneath the passenger's. So to soak them, the water has to reach the driver's plums. .

The one in the video appears to be an older Defender - 200TDi or 300Tdi or early Td5 - so no clever electronics to drown but try it in a later TD5 or Puma and it would have drowned without removing the DPF, ECU's and a few other bits up into the sealed tupperware boxes remounted high up in the cabin.

I driven up a river in a convertible Land Rover with a snorkel. I sat on the roof frame with one foot on the dash mounted hand throttle and the other on the top of the steering wheel. The water was about an inch from the top of the steering wheel.

Impressive vehicles.

Hang on, you don't just mean the water was over the bonnet and one inch up the outside of the windscreen......... you mean the entire interior of the vehicle was underwater / full of water up to the height of the windscreen?!?!

Bl00dy fun police out again I see, we're a right nation of moaners aren't we - If the police have got nothing better to do in Norfolk than surf youtube and moan, perrhaps we should relocate them into the cities where they're needed.

I think if they tried that, they were fairly certain it was going to make it and had been modified accordingly, add to which I bet it was quite entertaining. If they were just clueless muppets then Darwins theory should have acted accordingly +++