EVO: Shelby GT500 Mustang Vs Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe

Andy_Bangle

I wasn't expecting it to win by that much, I thought the fancy gearbox would help, but I guess the power difference is just too great.

On the contrary - I was surprised the Mustang didn't win by more, the Mercedes is giving away over 200bhp...!!! Bolt a supercharger on the Merc and it will obliterate the 'stang!

662bhp vs 451bhp

Edited by bazza_g

On the contrary - I was surprised the Mustang didn't win by more, the Mercedes is giving away over 200bhp...!!! Bolt a supercharger on the Merc and it will obliterate the 'stang!

662bhp vs 451bhp

From what I can find on't net, the GT500 is 'only' 60 bhp better off in real terms when you look at the power/weight ratio.

I suspect in the real world, with average drivers, the Merc would be quicker due to the gearbox, I suspect whoever was driving the GT in this test was making very quick gear changes.

From what I can find on't net, the GT500 is 'only' 60 bhp better off in real terms when you look at the power/weight ratio.

I suspect in the real world, with average drivers, the Merc would be quicker due to the gearbox, I suspect whoever was driving the GT in this test was making very quick gear changes.

Not sure where you are getting your figures from but this months EVO has the 2 cars only 33kg apart with the Merc being the lighter. The following is in The Knowledge section:

Ford Shelby GT500 - 374bhp/ton

C63 AMG - 264 bhp/ton

That's over 100 bhp/ton difference!

Even with your figures you say in the real world its 'only' 60bhp better off, you mean 60bhp/ton better off! 60bhp/ton advantage is flipping loads in sports car terms!

To put it in to perspective, 60bhp/ton is more than the difference between a shopping variety Porsche 997 Carrera S (271) and the 2nd gen 997 GT3 RS (329) - one of the most hardcore performance road cars out there...

Going more extreme in the example, 100bhp/ton is the difference between a C63 AMG and a Mini Cooper S!!

Edited by bazza_g

That's like saying my M3 is only a bit quicker than a mates GTi? 165Bhp/tony against 265bhp/ton? It isn't, it destroys it practically every way, the difference is massive :confused:

A guy at work as a 2011 GTR that's about 320Bhp/ton I think - and that makes me feel like I'm driving the golf :grin:

They were the figures I found when googling, whilst half cut, hence why I said 'from what I can find' no idea if they were correct or not, but seemingly not I suppose, although no one else seems to agree with Evo, as everyone else quotes the GT500 at 550 bhp?

Also I realise how much of a difference 60 bhp/ton is, hence why I highlighted 'only' 60 bhp, I still think in real world driving, the Merc would be quicker, the only situation where I think it wouldn't be, is in the test Evo did, which is never going to happen on the roads, imagine trying to hook the GT up away form the lights while the Merc just goes with a blink from the traction light!

I'd still rather have the GT500 though!

Mentalist. :grin:

I know, I'm just a bit of a sucker for a big block American V8, the noise makes a big part of it, and while Merc V8's sound good, they also sound artificial to me, like the noise has been engineered, I prefer the raw sound of the American V8's.

Plus I see AMG Mercs every day, and while they are undoubtedly special, the fact I see a Mustang very very rarely, makes them a bit more​ special to me, I like the rarity factor.

I see a couple of mustangs every morning. Two guys locally, in business together have one each. Not sure what model but they like to boot them (for all the right reasons) and you can hear the supercharger noise. I sometimes get stuck in traffic behind one and the noise it makes is fantastic. Not sure about the engineering quality but boy, it makes all the right sounds. Wasn't there a red one in I'm Legend?

They were the figures I found when googling, whilst half cut, hence why I said 'from what I can find' no idea if they were correct or not, but seemingly not I suppose, although no one else seems to agree with Evo, as everyone else quotes the GT500 at 550 bhp?

I think from what I can see every site ive visited seems to list the previous generation which I think was 2010 model, so I'm guessing this one has some additional horses.

I'd still rather have the GT500 though!

Yep +++

I think from what I can see every site ive visited seems to list the previous generation which I think was 2010 model, so I'm guessing this one has some additional horses.

Yep +++

2010 Shelby GT500 had a 5.4L s/c v8 with 540bhp

2013 Shelby GT500 has a 5.8L v8 and a new supercharger with 650bhp

d992a2489d8a0440bacbc234cd5671ad.jpg

Edited by bazza_g