2013 Golf or pre-reg car?

JamesCB

Considering getting a Golf to replace a rather old (new) Mini. Seen some good deals on pre-reg mark 6 Golfs, but considering waiting for the 2013 Golf.

Pre-reg cars I have seen seem to be around £5k less than a new Golf, but the new Golf may depreciate slower as it's a newer model. They look similar from the outside and the engine I want (1.4 TSI) is virtually the same.

Any thoughts?

First off, do you want a new car, with the depreciation that'll bring?

Second, do you care about what your car is like to drive and whether it'll be any fun? A Mini is a shed load more fun to drive than a Golf, even in Mini One guise.

I'd let someone else take the depreciation hit and buy a used Mini and have more fun.

And yes, I drive a Golf GTD as a daily shïtter :)

As above, I'd avoid the 1.4 from what I've heard and go for the 2.0 TDi 140 everytime. I drove our family Sportback 2.0 PD 140 recently on a long journey taking it steady in dire weather (missed my xenons and quattro!) and I got 54 mpg on the DIS. My parents recently went from Hampshire to Liverpool and got 57 mpg. That's an older 2005 Pump Duse model too - newer Common Rail versions are even more economical

First off, do you want a new car, with the depreciation that'll bring?

Second, do you care about what your car is like to drive and whether it'll be any fun? A Mini is a shed load more fun to drive than a Golf, even in Mini One guise.

I'd let someone else take the depreciation hit and buy a used Mini and have more fun.

And yes, I drive a Golf GTD as a daily shïtter :)

Seriously Mook.......get a grip man the BMW mini is NOT a proper MINI and are in fact less reliable and less hands on than the old ones.At least you could fix most stuff on the old trusty rusties yourself and they handled a lot better too. Golf GTD is ok if its got some spec........seriously though Golf 7 is a beaut.......ive been privvy to alot of playing and digging on a fair few the last couple of months..........he he he

Golf 7 for sure forget Golf 6 and its dodgy EGR!!!!

• 1 month later...
Seriously Mook.......get a grip man the BMW mini is NOT a proper MINI and are in fact less reliable and less hands on than the old ones.At least you could fix most stuff on the old trusty rusties yourself and they handled a lot better too. Golf GTD is ok if its got some spec........seriously though Golf 7 is a beaut.......ive been privvy to alot of playing and digging on a fair few the last couple of months..........he he he

Golf 7 for sure forget Golf 6 and its dodgy EGR!!!!

The MINI is a lot of fun and has been reliable, bar one issue the dealer fixed in about 10 minutes. I'm still weighing up a used GTD or the new Golf 2.0 TDI or 1.6 TDI now. Has anyone driven the 1.6 TDI in the Mark 6 or 7 (think it's the same engine).

Read one review here Mk7 VW Golf 1.6 TDI Review - Economical, but Too Slow? | carbuzz.co.uk

said it was a bit too slow and that the 2.0 TDI was a better choice, but it's a fair whack more money.

Read this before you decide. It's Porter being a bit sensible for once, albeit saying things that a lot of journos aren't allowed to say in their publications :)

A week with… the new Golf « Sniff Petrol

I really would look at a Mk6 GTD - DSG option - it's a very, very good car.

Ha ha didn't know sniff petrol did reviews. Good read, thanks for posting