VAG are getting really lazy now...

Twinspark

Just seen an advert for the new Seat Toledo - and thought 'I've seen that before'.

Turns out it's just a Seat badged Skoda Rapid. They haven't even tried to disguise it this time.

vignette_avec_skoda_rapid_image_photo_leader.jpg

I know VAG do platform sharing to a greater extent than anyone else - but at least they gave each brand individual styling most of the time.

This is as lazy as the Seat Exeo and first generation Skoda Superb - which were little other than outgoing VW cars with new lights.

It's interesting that they're both based on the A5 (Polo) platform, yet are 'Golf' sized - I suppose this makes them very cheap to make.

Not been into a VW dealer for a while - but I'll be going to one soon, as my DSG box needs a firmware update. I'll have to have a look at the relative sizes, as the Rapid / Toledo look quite large.

Basing them on the Polo does explain the engine choices, though - you can't get a decent power 1.4TSI in either of them - I think they're only getting the 1.2TSI.

Still, will be interesting to see if we re-visit them as company car choices later this year - the old Leon was rejected because of the shite interior quality, but I can see the Rapid and Toledo being more than acceptable in 1.6TDI form.

I had a MK2 Toledo back at the end of last century and it was a brilliant car but a lot of MK1 owners were upset because it had a boot as opposed to a hatchback.

Feck knows what they were thinking with the MK3 Toledo and it didn't sell at all and the Exeo was a quick solution based on the old A4 tooling.

The new one is pretty uninspiring too and you're right it's just a Rapide with a different badge.

I also see VW are going to be doing a 4 door Golf coupe called the Golf CC

The Mk1 and Mk2 Toledos were excellent cars - the Mk1, especially, was hugely under-rated as a budget Golf GTI.

The current / outgoing generation of mid-sized Seats were where Seat lost their way - interior quality took a dive and styling went a bit odd - the Leon didn't look too bad (but it was a step back from the Mk1), but the Toledo and Altea were ugly pigs.

Not sure what happened with the Ibiza, either - the Mk2 was also an excellent car - but things have gone downhill rapidly since.

Basing them on the Polo does explain the engine choices, though - you can't get a decent power 1.4TSI in either of them - I think they're only getting the 1.2TSI.

Their marketing men have deemed that people who buy Seat's and Skoda's want reliable econimical motoring, in a good (if slightly bland) package. In a Korean stylie, hence the look.

High power Seats and Skodas don't sell in high enough numbers and are even deemed to undermine the higher power VW models?

Her mums got one of the new modeal too but only the 80bhp (I think) 1.4l jobby and I had to convince her to get that rather than the 1.2l 3 cylinder one that was available at the time. Looks like they're starting to introduce the 1.2l TSI engines in some of the different trims now as well (there are 8 different trim levels on the website WTF?!) What's R-Line?

Her mums got one of the new modeal too but only the 80bhp (I think) 1.4l jobby and I had to convince her to get that rather than the 1.2l 3 cylinder one that was available at the time. Looks like they're starting to introduce the 1.2l TSI engines in some of the different trims now as well (there are 8 different trim levels on the website WTF?!) What's R-Line?

R-Line is just a trim level like S-Line for Audi. A few options as standard and a body kit. Supposed to come across sporty without buying a GTI or an R model.

The Polo BlueGT looks very good and has cylinder deactivation, but a bit pricey at around £18.5k, but cheap compared to an A1

MrsTP has the Polo 1.2 TSi in SEL trim, albeit SEL has now been replaced by the R-Line set up.

Absolutely stonking car, magic 4-pot Turbo engine, does 50 mpg+ and has never put a foor wrong.

We ordered it with the panoramic roof and two years down the line, it has proven to be a great buy. :eclipse: