New M3 Driver!

MrMPG

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye gods.

Correct oil is 10W60, not 5W60. No idea what difference that would make though? The car takes just under 9 litres, and asks for +1 Litre at around 7.5/7.8 litres and that usually takes it up to the max setting.

Ye gods.

Correct oil is 10W60, not 5W60. No idea what difference that would make though? The car takes just under 9 litres, and asks for +1 Litre at around 7.5/7.8 litres and that usually takes it up to the max setting.

Yes, I hope your oil was a typo there MrMPG and if it wasn't and they have not found anything up with the grade of oil, I'd keep quiet if I was you!

Sorry my bad yes its 10w60 i've put in (just had a heart flutter and a quick look in the shed!) - the BMW dealership that has done the engine strip assured me that the oil that was in it was correct and that there was enough in when the drained the sump to take the block apart, so I'm ok there. Also I took the car into BMW back in Feb when the 'vehicle check light' came on, again I asked them to check what had been written on the job sheet and the info the gathered from the key scan - no error codes came back to link to an Oil issue, and from the key scan oil level was deemed 'OK'.

Well, the end is insight - and thank god! The warranty company and the dealership I bought the car from have agreed a 70/30 split in terms of coughing up for the repairs, car is on a transporter and I should have it back in a couple of weeks time.....and not a penny to pay!!!

Came good in the end, but pressure from a solicitor did the trick. Bit more to the story but in essence, today is a good day!

Well, the end is insight - and thank god! The warranty company and the dealership I bought the car from have agreed a 70/30 split in terms of coughing up for the repairs, car is on a transporter and I should have it back in a couple of weeks time.....and not a penny to pay!!!

Came good in the end, but pressure from a solicitor did the trick. Bit more to the story but in essence, today is a good day!

Holy Crap - what a great result, and the right one. I felt sick for you about this whole thing. Fantastic.

Good question, having thought about it today, I think i'll enjoy whatever is left of the summer in it and then see what else is around. Tbh I'm just glad its over with, its been 2 months of the news getting worse and worse.

Great result, really pleased for you.

I know its a lot better than paying out for a new engine but won't your car sell for a fair bit less due to having a new engine? Any idea of the financial hit?

It won't be common knowledge... only if a buyer insisted on a service/repair print-out, which most don't.