samsung smart hub

johnny11

Anyone else having problems with the Samsung smart hub, all my apps have totally disappeared and cant access the smart hub, phoned samsung up and they told me there is a world wide issue with there server, apparantly the server clock went back to the 1970`s at 00.01 on new years day and has cocked up there smart hub.

I've heard that before, why does that happen?

Why do they program them with dates that are in the past?

Well you did ask....it was a method chosen to keep track of time back when bits & bytes were expensive. Instead of recording the time it records the amount of time that has passed since January 1st 1970. It was most commonly seen in Unix so tends to be referred to as Posix or Unix time.

They thought that about the stuff produced in the 80s - it wouldn't be in use in 20+ years. The thing is with the Unix date bug is that it's included in a lot of mass-produced integrated single-purpose chips now. Nobody really knows how many...or what they're installed in.

Of course it could just be a whole lot of nothing, and will be fixed by technology.

Of course it could just be a whole lot of nothing, and will be fixed by technology.

I suspect this!

Although it would be nice if one of these doomsday scenarios actually came true for once, just to stop us all being complacent about everything, I mean, I'm still reeling from the effects of the millennium bug. :rolleyes:

With respect Tipex that is a little short sighted. You wouldn't believe the amount of work that went into everything to making that a non-issue. It's a double edge sword really - stuff goes wrong, IT gets it in the neck. It doesn't go wrong, everyone's wasted money on IT for a non-problem. You can't win really - only, in professional IT, we put the non-event of Y2k down as a win.

I was working in insurance and back-room banking back then, and we found loads of stuff that would have failed - everything from mortgage calculations through to investment funds for pensions - and they were fixed. Of course, the fact that 'nothing happened' means such fixes did not get seen or make it in to any news stories. "Nothing happened" is not really an interesting news story.

If I remember rightly the only thing we really missed was the computer controlling our lift priorities! No big deal other than it being a pain in the ass getting into the building in the mornings for a few days.

What you didn't see was what was fixed and found after the event in finance too - things like a load of salary payments due first week of January (bizarre time to get paid - I suspect it was weekly payments) going out the wrong day because systems though the 7th of January was a weekend (or something like that, it's a long time ago). There was also a panic about some systems misunderstanding leap-year in 2000 too.

Edited to add that Bill Godwin wrote a good few articles on it if you're vaguely interested - this one is a good place to start: http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Was-Y2K-a-costly-non-event

Edited by Mac

It was more of a tongue in cheek comment about Video recorders exploding or taking over the world than anything else.

We did have to have our taxi booking system 'fixed' so it didn't cock up all the bookings, so the reality is I do know there were some genuine effects related to it, but nothing like armageddon the media would have us believe at the time.

In a choice between the IT people who say they worked to fix it, and the media who say their reporting was accurate & measured, I'll go with the IT people...

Indeed, there's very few arguments i'd trust the media over a professional in.

Just remember that when my student murdering trial is splashed all over the TV and papers! :grin: