Lotus

DanG

They're fecked - as I posted in another thread, you're looking at £30k for a usable entry-level Lotus, which is enough to buy 2 MX5s - I'm not convinced the Elise is that much better, unless you have enough money to spunk £30k on a weekend toy - and then you'd probably look at something a lot more special on the used market. (I know I would - in fact, for £30k, I could have a Porsche 968 and a decent spec. brand new MX5)

It'll be a sad day when they do go, but sadly it's inevitable. I used to really like Lotus - when they were making the M100 Elan and the Esprit, they really did punch above their purchase price. These days, they're far too closely aligned to Porsche pricing.

I have read that Lotus sales are down some 50% YoY and that they sold only 1043 cars in 2012.

Mook touched on it here: http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/general-cars/138527-best-worst-selling-cars-2012-a.html.

The EVO story last week said it was only 137 cars!!!

It's not based on sold figures, it's based on new cars registered in the UK therefore Lotus only registered 137 new cars – including press/TDK demonstrators and dealer cars - how many did they sell? a lot less.

Lotus didn't sell 1043 cars worldwide in 2012, they only produced 1043 new cars in 2012 (inc demo's, stock etc.)

Edited by Andy_Bangle

My 2p;

I think the uncertainty over ownership, and therefore warranty and residual worries, have done the biggest amount of harm. I think I read somewhere that they have 1000 orders for the Exige S, which was delayed to production due to DRB reining in the spending thanks to Bahar's mad expansion costs etc etc... Also; The models are mis-aligned. Any die hards waiting for the Esprit are not buying an Evora, when in reality the Evora is Lotus's top model and the Esprit is mothballed indefinately. The Exige is a belter, and £30k for an Elise might sound expensive but you can't compare one to a £20k MX-5, even though they're (now) good enough to be used as a daily driver (assuming you can get your fat arse in the door). Their company is saddled with debt and sooner or later an Accountant will make some painful decisions.

The cars are award winning, they have a fantastic heritage, and I have nothing but praise for the ones I've driven. I suspect many of those knocking 'em haven't tried one lately.

Good luck Lotus +++

Are Lotus still doing work for other car companies regarding setting up their suspension? I remember them working for a host of companies as they were so good at it. I still think the Mk1 Exige in orange is one of the best looking cars around, with all its faults. I saw one at Bedford Autodrome and fell in love.

I think I read somewhere that they have 1000 orders for the Exige S...

I'd certainly take that figure with a pinch of salt! Possibly the last of Bahars bullshit! I've sat in one (the car that evo used on their coty text unless I've got my number plates mixed up!) and it was awesome, Thorburn is a lucky git to have driven one in anger. However 53k plus options is a mountain of money....