V media TiVo remote app, TV anywhere?

Calm Chris

Loaded the app, signed in and I can record TV remotely. It suggested that if you plug the TiVo in to the home network you can then watch Virgin Media content on smart phone or iPad.

What is unclear is if (or if not) its rubbish, since I've a funny feeling that should I be on holiday and want to watch a subscribed Virgin it wont work because I'm not on the home network?

Seems odd that a TiVo box needs a home network cable, why can't Virgin just give you a log in and access the content direct to their servers?

I had hoped this would be Virgins answer to the clever Sky remote product, but it seems only to offer TiVo remote control and not content access when away from home.

Has anyone played with it yet?

The available live to watch channel are here

Watch Live TV Channels Anywhere in the UK with Virgin

There is more for PC desktop than iPad.

I'm still not sure why home network connection on the TiVo is required, indoors the few channels I've tried work ok. A good hint is to look on the rhs of the app menu, the wifi logo indicates what can be accessed.

You don't need the link to your LAN. I also thought you did but since removing it everything still works the same.

If you have two Tivo's then you need it if you're streaming content from one to the other.

TVanywhere is very limited but being able to record remotely etc is useful as per Sky.

I too thought you could do that ... but I don't think you can. To be honest my interest stopped when I realised you couldn't do that on a PC since I don't have iPhone/iPad.

Since the Tivo has it's own dedicated 10Mb link then I'd expect any streaming to go over that instead of the LAN.

You need the network link if you want to control the Tivo whilst in the phone, get it to change channels or go direct to a channel etc. the rest you're right you don't.

The content that you can watch away from the home is limited at the moment I hope it improves over time. I like the new app though a good step in the right direction even if it is almost a year late.