The TSN 2013 Fitness Thread

DanG

Just had a cardio checkup and bloods taken. Cholesterol will be back Friday...

But my BP was 131/79 and heart rate was....

42bpm. Eek!

I read that as your BP is pretty much OK but your heart rate should be around twice that?  Hope you are ok and it's only a minor blip   

Hit a brick wall with my swimming. Went last Tuesday with an aim to get to 1 mile (70 lengths) got to 60 lengths (without stopping which was a first) and was feeling fine, then suddenly cramped up. Stretched out a bit, tried to restart but cramped up again so called it a day.

Went again on Friday with the same aim, trying to get to 70 lengths. Got to 53 (3/4 mile) and had a horrendous attack of cramp, I could feel the muscle in my right calf, knotted and bulging. I presume it was cramp but I think it pulled the muscle (is that possible?) it's just starting to feel better now 4 days later, going to leave it another day or two then give it another go.

It's irritating as i've got there from 250m and being on the verge of throwing up/passing out the first time I went. I've managed to carry on swimming without stopping every 10 or so lengths and also knocked off quite a bit of time, technique's improved a bit etc. starting to feel like a bit of psychological barrier! :ffs:

That is a very odd length for a pool stooH. If is a standard 25m pool then it is 64 lengths for a mile.

I wonder if you are kicking far too much for that sort of distance. Your kicking is a minor part of a front crawl stroke - the majority of the propulsion comes from your arms and the movement of the hand through the water. The technique I was taught involves a sort of cutting action with the propelling arm under the body - taught it by a cross channel swimmer trainer.

It's a 50m pool which has a boom that raise up in the middle of it splitting it into a 23m pool (which the public use) and a 25m pool for the Portsmouth Northsea Swimmers, water polo etc. 70*23m = 1610m = 1 mile.

Also I swim breast stroke rather than front crawl. Amazing what buying a pair of goggles has done for my stroke, I don't go fully under but get my eyes down and under the water which forces you to work on your breathing. As i've only been doing that the last couple of times i've been I'm finding it quite weird and it takes me a dozen lengths to get into a reasonable rhythm, then find once I get 20 or 30 lengths in my motion improves again to a slightly more gliding stroke (does that make sense?). I'm sure once i've had more practice the stroke will improve a bit more and i'll get into the right rhythm quicker as well.

Mook has pointed me towards some electrolyte tablets that you dissolve in water and drink before going, i've got those now, so in a day or two when i'm happy my calf muscle is better i'll give them a go and see if it helps.

Fooking did it!! 4_1_105.gif.pagespeed.ce._Z3lAwBPHP.gif

Managed to get to 70 laps last night, so completed a mile for the first time ever. Took me bang on an hour (well 59.57) doing breastroke. Bit achy this morning but was massively buzzed last night.

Tried to manage the technique a bit more to prevent cramp in the legs so used more arm and was less forceful with my kicking, seemed to work as didn't have to pull up. Did get a small touch of cramp when in shower about a minute after I stopped but it was only that one that feels like your toes are getting pulled apart and not in my calf. So all good.  :grin:

Now to see if I can repeat it again early next week. Hurrah!

• Like 2

Well done mate. Funny thing is, when you get to a really good state of fitness for your regular exercise, it actually becomes relaxing. I do my 12-15 mile ride after work in the week as I find it totally relaxes me. Even though I'm going flat out and trying to get round as fast as poss. When in get back I feel great.

I'll have to do some research into it but I find the first 10 or so lengths really tough, like i'm gasping for breath all the time, then after that I agree you start to relax and get into a rhythm and the breathing comes easier despite apparently doing exactly the same thing.

I always start slow to get properly warmed up. First 1-2 miles, then increase gradually to flat out. If I go too fast at the start I'm feeling it half way around. Take the first few lengths slower and get into a really good rhythm with your stroke and breathing and see if that makes a difference. Works for me.

Having not done any regular exercise for many years, I've taken up Spin classes at the local gym. I'd tried to get into running, but my left knee gave way after week two and has never felt right since, so cycling is much better suited. The thing I've found that really helps is being in a class full of other people doing the same exercises, it encourages you to get on and do it. Twinned with some thumping toons, I'm really starting to get into it.

Classes are 45 minutes, I use a heart-rate strap that's linked to the studio, it shows effort, heart-rate and calories burnt... so there's really no hiding if you're not putting in the effort!  

Three times a week at the moment, just thinking about supplementing the classes with some strength training in the gym, although most people have said just do press ups and plank exercises.

It's week three (I think) and I'm starting to be able to do the whole class of exercises, not having to just sit and pedal for sections.

One thing I've started doing is using a protein supplement drink straight after, it really does speed up recovery and I'm not getting any muscle aches or pains the day after.

StooH, maybe get yourself one of these, put some "Ministry of Sound: Running Trax" on it and see if you can escape from the constant thought of having to do stuff... either that or maybe a bit of Jimmy Carr or Billy Connolly.  Saw someone swimming with one on and thought it was a great idea.

StooH, maybe get yourself one of these, put some "Ministry of Sound: Running Trax" on it and see if you can escape from the constant thought of having to do stuff... either that or maybe a bit of Jimmy Carr or Billy Connolly.  Saw someone swimming with one on and thought it was a great idea.

Thanks, but I can't imagine anything worse than that. I like the peace and haven't got any problem shutting my mind off at all ta +++

• Like 1

You need to build up speed slowly or your body gets too much lactic acid and then can't get rid of it from the blood so the whole session feels tough. Either warm up or start slowly.

However, how good do the first couple of lengths feel?! I always feel like Ian Thorpe for the first 4 lengths (without the gay thoughts).