The TSN 2013 Fitness Thread

DanG

Whilst I swam as kid i've not swum properly in a pool for over 20 years. I tried cycling last year and found my knees didn't like it much so decided to give the pool in town ago. First time I went (about 3 months ago) I managed 10 x 25m lengths and had to get out shaking uncontrollably and felt like vomiting (gives you an idea of how unfit I am). Went back a few days later and managed 300m, then 400m and so on.

Went last night and the boom was down in the pool so it's a 50m pool and about 2m deep. Which makes it a whole lot harder, can't put your feet down after a batch of lengths etc. I was quite happy that I managed to do 25 x 50m which is 1250m by my calculations. Took me bloody ages mind, about 50 minutes. I guess my aim is to get to the mile mark eventually and then start bringing the time down a bit.

This is all breaststroke by the way, not sure if that's easier or harder than the other strokes, I certainly know it's slower!

• Like 1

lol, seriously you wouldn't believe what damage such a low-impact low speed bump did to my neck!    Probably not helped that I was stationary and looking right at the oncoming traffic when I was hit but after a whole year of weekly physio sessions and now some 3 years later I'm still having issues ...  :(

On the swimming - its easy to lose count of how many lengths you've done so try this:

Start with the '5's.

5 lengths crawl, 5 breast stroke and 5 back stroke - you'll feel the different muscle groups working, particularly backstroke.

Then do the 4's, the 3's, the 2's and finish with the singles. You have simple targets and an ultimate goal which can be completed in practical time.

Equally, start with the 1's and work up to a level you are comfortable with.

After that, you are free to practice bombing. :)

Join the gym...Pah!!

I used to go for years, played football twice weekly sometimes thrice, got bored and didn't go for a long time.

Looking at myself a few months ago, I thought, Christ!!! Its a one pack belly, so started that insanity workout.

I'm doing a second round now and to be honest. Though it's one of the hardest things I've put myself through in my life physically, the transformation in that short period of time is unbelievable.

My core strength has improved, I'm much fitter and stronger and the weight has dropped off me.

12 weeks ago I weighed 96kgs, and was my heaviest weight in my entire life ever. The last time I weighed myself about a week ago, I'm down to 88kgs.

I'd recommend it but believe me. Its not easy.

Once I'm done on this second round in 5 weeks, I now have to find a routine to maintain where I get to. That's the next hurdle I have.

• Like 1

On the swimming - its easy to lose count of how many lengths you've done so try this:

Start with the '5's.

5 lengths crawl, 5 breast stroke and 5 back stroke - you'll feel the different muscle groups working, particularly backstroke.

Then do the 4's, the 3's, the 2's and finish with the singles. You have simple targets and an ultimate goal which can be completed in practical time.

Equally, start with the 1's and work up to a level you are comfortable with.

After that, you are free to practice bombing. :)

I do exactly that. Well not exactly but close enough.

Once i'd got to a reasonable number of lengths I aimed to do 10 lengths then 8, 6 etc because as you said it's easy to lose track. Then I started upping it so i'd do 10,10,8,6... Now i'm doing 5 sets of 10 (this is in the 25m pool).

At the moment i'm trying to build up my general fitness a bit, eventually i'll start doing different strokes, i've always been a front crawler (although my backstroke is fine) but find front crawl knackers me too quickly because I can't pace myself well. Problem with backstroke is when there are 3 or 4 of you sharing a lane you just crash into people!  :unsure: so for the next month or so i'll predominantly stick to breastroke, i've got 15 stone of unstreamlined body to haul through the water!

I did just over a mile in the pool last night and I tend to wrap up my counting into first 10, then 16 (25%), then 32 (halfway) then through the Commando units (40, 42, 45) and then I'm almost there at 64. Odd, but it works for me!

I've quite enjoyed swimming more in the last 4 weeks and now do up to 2 miles front crawl. I'm still heavy though - must be laying down more muscle as all my trousers still fit the same as they did when I was lighter!

• Like 1

I went for a 12 mile trail run through the woods last night. Was fecking spooky, but great fun!

12 miles is an impressive distance, particularly at night. Well done, sir!

Did a 3k run this morning, followed by 45 mins of circuits and was going to go for a swim - but the pool was closed for kids lessons sadly.

Still getting in a bit of exercise everyday which is good whilst the weather / temps / light lasts.

Cheers, I did a gentle four miles in the morning too. I'm trying to get some serious mileage in the legs for this marathon training plan.

The night run was at conversational pace with a mate. It was instead of going to the pub for bloke-chat :roflmao:

I love running in the morning, but it has got really tough to get out recently now the Sun's gone AWOL :( Have to modify my running habits.

I'm now three weeks in to my new 'regime'. Basically, I've cut all the shit from my diet and am on a reducing calorie eating plan and exercise plan for 6 weeks as a start. After that, I'll see where I go from there.

I've got an ongoing back issue, so I'm going at the exercise easy, 2 sets of 9 exercises three times a week with the aim to drop body fat, strengthen bits and generally feel better. I've not ridden my MTB for nearly 18 months and I want to ride again. Not sure how much this'll help the back problem but it's a start. :)

I've just signed up to 'ParkRun' and will be doing my first one this Saturday morning.

The downside is that I did a bit of a trial run in the gym this morning and clocked a particularly crap 38 minutes for the 5km. Not helped by having to back off and walk twice when I got some chest pains.

Fecking bastard broken arteries. I used to piss distances like that.

I've just signed up to 'ParkRun' and will be doing my first one this Saturday morning. The downside is that I did a bit of a trial run in the gym this morning and clocked a particularly crap 38 minutes for the 5km. Not helped by having to back off and walk twice when I got some chest pains. Fecking bastard broken arteries. I used to piss distances like that.

Nice easy benchmark for setting a few PBs then +++

Let us know how you get on. I keep meaning to go to my local and smash my PB from earlier this year.

Just got back from a 40 mile, 20mph average speed group ride. Nothing special in that. But only doing it so that my 13 year old son can come along. Velodrome sessions start in a few weeks too.

Would love to have a go in a velodrome. I used to ride bikes all the time as a kid, but never occurred to me to try racing etc. Hope he enjoys it +++