The TSN 2013 Fitness Thread

DanG

Would love to have a go in a velodrome. I used to ride bikes all the time as a kid, but never occurred to me to try racing etc. Hope he enjoys it +++

Do it, do it, do it!!

I had a 2-hr session at Newport Velodrome a few weeks ago and it was mega.

Once over the initial 'weirdness' of a fixed-gear bike, whilst not exactly challenging Chris Hoy we were doing loads of pusuits and getting well up onto the banking (going high and watching everyone go through underneath is a bit scary first time round...)

There's not supposed to be a competitive element to it, but going with 8 guys who work in F1, there was always going to be. Thankfully, the only part of the evening against the clock was a rolling 500m sprint, and somehow I pinched 1st place (by 2/100 ths) doing a smidge under 38 seconds. Felt pretty good, until we were told Hoy would do it in around 24...However, we were on beginners bikes with an 84-inch gear, so it was basically a cadence issue that was stopping us going any quicker.

I'll say again, if you can, DO IT! +++

We did a series last year.

It was really good fun. Quite scary. Somebody crashes in front of you and you have to do your best to not ride over them!

Did various drills, all quite hard work.

Quite scary when you have forty people on track, nobody with any brakes.

Thing that caught me out was when I just tried to coast, which resulted in the bike bucking up because it is fixed wheel.

I splashed out on some proper Mtb lights this week. Lets me get out in the evening as well as the weekend. Blimey these lights are amazing. Tiny little lights, pitch black into daylight. Off-road biking at night is something everyone should try. Brilliant fun.

I have a few mountain bike lights.

Hope R4 - 4 x LEDs. Quite bright. (This is my old/back up light)

Helmet mount - 3 leds. Slightly less bright, but obviously directional.

Troutie light, 6 x leds. On full is crazy bright. Needs a reasonable sized battery.

On order is a mega cheap £30 light from deal extreme. Supposed to be pretty good despite the price. This is going to be used by the kids.

A stone in under two weeks is good . 

A stone in under two weeks is not healthy. People can drop a shed load of water weight in that time say 8-10lbs if they go to a zero carb type diet. I'm guessing you still ate carbs so that is a huge drop.

2-3lbs a week is a healthy and sustainable amount to lose.

?

Huge weight loss in such a short period of time has been proven time and time again to be unsustainable.

I believe you will put most if not all of that weight back on a couple of months after you return home.

Of course if you keep your new diet and training routine up then I will be wrong.

However you have said yourself that "they" are feeding you feck all and you are in the gym 1.5 hours per day. I don't think you can keep that up when you leave which is why it is unsustainable.

This is in no way reverse psychology to spur you on even more.

Edited by billy2shots