FWD w/ Winter tyres or AWD w/ summer tyres in the snow?

Andy_Bangle

Are you better off with a front-wheel drive model fitted with winter tyres that you can swap once the weather warms up, or an all-wheel drive vehicle with regular rubber?

Autocar magazine sought to find an answer to the aforementioned question by comparing two otherwise identical, 110hp diesel-powered Skoda Yeti crossovers. I suspect that most of you will know the outcome, but the tests do reveal some interesting facts.

An AWD with winter tyres is even better +++

An AWD with winter tyres is even better +++

It's funny really, but everyone forgets that option!

I had winter tyres on my old Legacy, and it could have gone anywhere, I once got to my parents house and took my mum to a hospital appointment in it, as the whole area was closed off and they were snowed in, nothing else could get through, the police tried to stop me but I carried on, and gave them a wave as drove back past them on my way back over the top of the hill!

I guess everyone buys for there own reasons. A tiny bit for us was for snowy conditions but generally it was due to the ability to put the power down whether dry, wet, etc without torque steer and without the Mrs worrying about RWD.

The review just seemed to be saying forget AWD and get winter tyres for FWD. That's just not a valid argument as when you're not shod with the winter tyres you lose the advantage and that's most of the year.

Can't see me having ANY fwd car ever again. Can't actually see me having any car other than a BMW again. Then again, in September last year I couldn't have seen me driving anything other than an Audi!

Now it is ok to talk about winter tyres (I noticed your post Milo:grin:), they are bloody amazing. The first bad lot of snow here and I wafted past stranded Mercs and BMWs to some "how the feck are you doing that looks". That said, the car looks sh1t on 18s and I want the 20s back ASAP!

MrsEldavo was cursing me for fitting skinny 1 series 16" steelies with wheel trims and removing her 19"s.

Her car has been epic in the snow, she's been the only Dr not stuck on house visits or in the car park at the surgery. I took her car out at 3am in heavy snow to drop her friends off home as there were no taxis and like you say Booster, the looks I got off the scant few other road users was of incredulity.

I also got a smile and a thumbs up from a copper on the way back about 4am as it had stopped snowing and was a crisp clear night - I dropped the roof :)

Do people really buy AWD cars just for when it snows? :confused:

As we did 22 4x4s in the week the snow arrived, I would say yes! We wouldn't do that many in a month normally.

These will be the people ringing for settlement figures in June when the tax they got with the car runs out, they realise how much the rfl costs, they are sick of the fuel costs and will get hit hard on the px value as they bought when 4x4 prices where at a peak and are now selling when they are at a low.

Happens every year!