Behold - the 3GT

News_Stig

Why don't they just make a 3 hatchback/fastback/sportback or whatever?

Isn't that basically what this is?

Can't say I see it being particularly 'niche' to be honest, it's just the hatchback version of the 3 series, manufacturers have been offering saloon/hatch versions of the same car for years?

they have that on the 5GT, but not this one.

But that's equally pointless, as it's not a 5 saloon... so it's a saloon-y hatch-y version of a saloon.

They could have made a 5 that looked like a saloon, had a saloon boot, but also had the hatch thing going on, which is exactly how it looks to work on the Superb.

I like it, will be going on my maybe list for my next car. Its the size, space and practicality I'm looking for, add good engines and a great chassis whats not to like. They styling isn't as bad as the 5GT but I'd pick one of those up at the right price, strangely they seem to be holding onto their value very well, or so it appears when I look.

I like it, will be going on my maybe list for my next car. Its the size, space and practicality I'm looking for, add good engines and a great chassis whats not to like. They styling isn't as bad as the 5GT but I'd pick one of those up at the right price, strangely they seem to be holding onto their value very well, or so it appears when I look.

What appeals about it over a 3-series estate? - surely it'll be less practical and worse looking than the estate and less refined than the saloon, so it's a bit of an oddity for me.

I'm sure they'd have been better off making the 3's boot work like the Skoda Superb, where you treat it as either a hatch or a saloon - giving the best of both worlds, without having to introduce another variant.

Having quite a few Superbs on the fleet, I would suggest the reason no one else does it, is because it's a stupid idea that doesn't work.

What you effectively have, is a saloon, with extra air when the boot is open, it still has all the limitations of a saloon when you shut the boot, and none of the extra space of a hatch, so what your left with is a saloon with a very complicated boot lid.

Don't know where you are looking then. GT is a lot of car for the money. It's just that it is a lot of ugly car. Dealers will accept silly offers to get them off the premises!

What appeals about it over a 3-series estate? - surely it'll be less practical and worse looking than the estate and less refined than the saloon, so it's a bit of an oddity for me.

I think from the stats its acutally got a seats down capacity that is larger than an estate, its longer, wider and taller as well. The extra interior space and longer wheelbase also mean more rear seat space. So for me it offers quite a bit extra than the estate doesn't.

Don't know where you are looking then. GT is a lot of car for the money. It's just that it is a lot of ugly car. Dealers will accept silly offers to get them off the premises!

Yeah in fairness I was only surfing through the BMW approved site for what they were 'trying' to sell them for, not ready to change just yet but anything other than the soulless Audi will be an improvement. +++