New Mercedes C63 AMG ...

Andy_Bangle

Merc push the (very) clever electronics (ESP/traction/whatever they call it) as being able to keep the car under control. It is absolutely brilliant, as I found out at Brooklands on their test track in a C63. All on, partially off and all off are three very different experiences :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merc push the (very) clever electronics (ESP/traction/whatever they call it) as being able to keep the car under control. It is absolutely brilliant, as I found out at Brooklands on their test track in a C63. All on, partially off and all off are three very different experiences :)

Do the Brooklands cars have LSDs fitted ? The BM 35i's are supposed to have eDiff's that use the brakes to try and replicate a LSD... it simply does sweet FA in comparison to a real one.

The one I was in didn't - I asked the instructor, because it felt like it did - and you go on pretty much every road surface you can think of. I was really sceptical of how effective the electronics would be, expecting massive throttle off experiences, but it's smooth as anything. They brake the spinning wheel lightly until it gets traction.

Best part was ESP fully off and having to drift non-stop around the bowl :D

It's a lot harder I'd guess on a non-LSD equipped car? Doing that on the '3 around a roundabout (not that I do...often...on purpose anyway!) is easy. I found it terrifying in the 335.

Saying that, as you alude to Mook, could be just learning to drive that model. I've said before I struggled with the whole test drive. Suspect if I had it for longer I'd actually learn how to drive it! Same way I found the '3 a handful when I first got it.

I can't understand why they don't fit a LSD as standard, it's one of the most important parts on an M-Car. I guess they just want you to add it as an option, but most don't. They also don't come with sat-nav as standard either.

I think the reason is that they wanted me to part with an extra £2,300 for it, which I did :roflmao:

You can get plenty extra ponies out of the C63 with just a remap which is unusual for a NA engine, but the throttle is artificially restricted as standard so does take much to open it up. Having said that, most tuners have found its down on power as standard compared to the claimed figures +++

Mines standard for now - however the upcoming Milltek 200 cell race cats and 2nd cat delete could well be on the cards when released. Talking to Phil, owner of Milltek, at Autosport he said they kept the AMG back box as they couldn't make it sound better than standard and went the cat mod route to get a harder sound.

Right, I get how with an open diff the inner wheel is likely to break traction first and spin up, therefore losing power.

With an LSD at a certain point of slip the diff locks to maintain forward motion under power, but how does the car then continue to corner without the back end breaking loose and causing a spin?

how does the car then continue to corner without the back end breaking loose and causing a spin?

An LSD helps when one of the rears has some grip but the other doesn't.

With an open diff in those circumstances, the wheel that is free can spin, so has much less resistance to rotation. The result is that the diff sends all the torque to that wheel and none to the wheel with grip. An LSD locks, so both wheels turn and you still have torque going to the wheel with grip.

Yes, if you nail it, you may break traction on the other wheel too, but at least you can put some power down if you're careful.

It's usually apparent in tight cornering where you've lifted the inner wheel, there is a corresponding extra weight on the outer wheel so it actually has good grip in those circumstances. I saw this a lot coming out of the turn 2 hairpin at Rockingham, the Caterham has an open diff at my level and unless you were really careful you could be halfway to the next corner before you could get any real power down.

• 1 month later...

The C 63 AMG, the “Edition 507” - available for the Saloon, Estate and Coupé -, brings not only additional customizing options, but also a power boost of 50 PS (49 HP), increasing the 6.3-litre V8 engine’s output to 507 PS (500 HP) and 610 Nm (450 lb-ft) of torque. This upgrade includes technology from the SLS AMG – namely the forged pistons, connecting rods and lightweight crankshaft.

The power boost is naturally translated into better performance, with the C 63 AMG Edition 507 being two-tenths of a second faster than the base model. 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) is done in 4.2 seconds (for the Saloon or Coupé) and in 4.3 seconds (for the Estate). Top speed of all body styles is 280 km/h (174 mph), with the AMG Driver’s package offered as standard and a voucher for a driver-training course at the AMG Driving Academy. The C 63 AMG Edition 507 is fitted as standard with an AMG high-performance composite brake system with red callipers.

Sales of the C63 AMG Edition 507 begin in June, with prices starting from €83,835.50 for the Saloon, €85,085 for the Coupé and €86,394 for the Estate.

Mercedes-C63-AMG-Edition-507-8%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Mercedes-C63-AMG-Edition-507-3%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Mercedes-C63-AMG-Edition-507-4%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Mercedes-C63-AMG-Edition-507-5%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Mercedes-C63-AMG-Edition-507-6%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Mercedes-C63-AMG-Edition-507-7%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Mercedes-C63-AMG-Edition-507-9%25255B4%25255D.jpg