Apple cuts MacBook prices

Andy_Bangle

Apple has cut the price on the base version of its 13-inch MacBook Pro laptop with "retina" display by £220 as it revamps its top-end laptops, and also boosted the processor speeds across the high-resolution laptop range.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina with a 128GB flash drive can now be purchased for £1,249 in the UK, down from a previous price of £1,449.

The top-end 13-inch model with 256GB flash now costs £1,449. It has also received a performance boost to a dual-core 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor.

Whilst it hasn't received a price cut, the 15-inch Retina MacBook range has also received a speed boost.

The entry £1,799 model shifts from a 2.3GHz quad-core i7 to a 2.4GHz chip, while the £2,299 version gets a 2.7GHz rather than 2.6GHz chip, backed by 16GB of RAM.

Apple has also cut the price of its 13-inch MacBook Air with 256GB down to £1,199.

MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro Notebook Computers with Free Shipping - Apple Store (UK)

There really isn't a 'consumer' offer in the Apple laptop range these days.

I found the need to replace my Rev. A Air recently (need something with proper processing power and large hard drive) - after looking at the current Apple offerings, I decided to buy (cheaply) a 2008 MacBook Pro. It may be slower than current machines, but 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM and 250GB hard drive is still a very decent spec - it runs Mountain Lion and iPhoto now zips along - it used to crawl and beach-ball on the Air.